2005 GC 5.7 Hemi - Lost Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2005 GC 5.7 Hemi - Lost Transmission

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
MIKEKA

2005 GC 5.7 Hemi - Lost Transmission

Last month the trans on my 2005 GC went out. Drove it the nite before. Parked it and the next day when I went to put it in gear - NOTHING!! Towed to dealer, tech said filter was installed incorrectly from factory, eventually worked out, pump lost prime and computer shut it down. New filter installed. Drove it for a month and the same thing happened again today. I am loosing confindence in this vehicle - and that's shame cause we've owned and enjoyed, trouble free up to now, five Jeeps.

I seriously doubt the filter was misinstalled wrong the second time as I know the tech. that worked on it personally , as he has all our others, and can say he is one of the best techs I've ever dealt with. So there is obviously something else bad wrong and I sure don't want to be stuck on the road.

Anybody else have a problem like this with theirs? Thanks in advance for any input.

MIKEKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to a different dealer for a diagnostic test. Perhaps youll get better service there, but in either case they really should do something seeing how its under warrenty. They call them STEALerships for a reason.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't loose confidence yet. It sounds like you have a lot of respect for the Jeep Tech that fixed it before. Take it back to him and see what he says. If you are not happy with what he tells you, take it to a different dealer. Also be sure file a complaint with NHTSA about it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Don't loose confidence yet. It sounds like you have a lot of respect for the Jeep Tech that fixed it before. Take it back to him and see what he says. If you are not happy with what he tells you, take it to a different dealer. Also be sure file a complaint with NHTSA about it.
The NHTSA will only investigate safety issues, however, depending on your location, 3 times for the same problem, and Chrysler can't fix, you'd be entitled to money back - lemon law.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Take it to a different dealer for a diagnostic test. Perhaps youll get better service there, but in either case they really should do something seeing how its under warrenty. They call them STEALerships for a reason.
You know all dealers are not bad, some people are just taking their vehicles to the wrong ones. Personally I treat everybody elses vehicles like my own. It doesn't hurt to know the tech or meet the tech that is working on your vehicle. Ask questions and see if he feeds a line of crap or not. You can tell even if you don't know a lot about cars. Also check into their training, most places display everyones training records or plaques.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut
The NHTSA will only investigate safety issues, however, depending on your location, 3 times for the same problem, and Chrysler can't fix, you'd be entitled to money back - lemon law.
NHTSA I believe is kind of like a clearing house for all complaints. they may or may not only investigate safety related items, but the complaint will at least be there for everyone to see. I know that I will look at complaints there before I buy my next vehicle. Also the more complaints the better chance that they will investigate.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
MIKEKA

Thanks guys. I'm due to have it back in the shop Tues. because of the holiday. They'll come to the house and get it. Called too late today to get it towed in and since it's in the driveway I can wait. Have lots of warranty left on it - 7/70 and only 8K on it. As far as another dealer goes, I'll give mine another shot at it and have a loaner waiting for me when I get there. We've bought all our Jeeps from this place and the repeat business helps a little. They've been pretty square with us over the years and as I mentioned I've gotten to know the tech that's worked on our cars pretty well and he knows me well enough to know that I don't fool easily...........But if push comes to shove ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Regardless, this has to be resolved as I sure as hell don't want to be a couple hundred miles from home and have it happen again. I've searched the TSB's and NHTSA stuff and haven't found any info on the problem, but I'm sure if it's happened to me there must be others out there.........
MIKEKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #8
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEKA

I've searched the TSB's and NHTSA stuff and haven't found any info on the problem, but I'm sure if it's happened to me there must be others out there.........
I hope you filed a complaint when you were at the NHTSA site.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 12-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncrone
You know all dealers are not bad, some people are just taking their vehicles to the wrong ones. Personally I treat everybody elses vehicles like my own. It doesn't hurt to know the tech or meet the tech that is working on your vehicle. Ask questions and see if he feeds a line of crap or not. You can tell even if you don't know a lot about cars. Also check into their training, most places display everyones training records or plaques.

I know not all dealers are bad, but Ive dealt with 1 good one out of 3 horrible ones. Thats a bad ratio IMO. The good one was a Ford dealer, the bad were another Ford dealer, a Chrysler dealer, and a Chevy dealer. If I NEED anything done that I cant do, I take it to a trusted shop that I have found. I cannot find faith in a Chrysler dealership when their techs started working on my green Cherokee, when indeed they were at the wrong vehicle and were suposed to be working on a WHITE Grand Cherokee. To make things worse the guys were like "oh s**t, wrong vehicle" and didnt bother to put my coolant cap back on, or my trans dip stick fully in, slammed my hood shut and walked away. I cant say enough good things about the Ford dealer however, as we do know some of the people that do our work. But this Chrysler dealer just sucks. They also busted my master cylinder while it was in for new calipers. They refused to replace it even though they were fully responsible for breaking it. That was the last trip I ever have and ever will take there. Im not doubting your a great tech, its too bad there arent more with your attitude about others vehicles. Ive just had too many bad experiences to have faith in big dealers, so I prefere private shops for what I cant do.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
Frostbite

Suonds like an electrical problem to me, bad sensor in the tranny sending a incorrect signal. I'm sure they will be able to figure this one out
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
Jeep-Tech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh

People like you call them stealerships, because you have no clue to what the hell your talking about. The STEALERship as you call it did not build the damn thing nor did they design it. See it's people like you that don't understand what we have to go thru with chrysler on fixing there screw ups. I bet your one of those engineers that make 150k a year to screw eveything up so people like me and brandoncone have to do it for half price because the bone heads in detroit cant get it right the first time. So people that call them stealerships remember one thing. Before you open your mouth a splat off some B.S. about we cant get it fixed right, go to your job tomorrow and dont punch in and just work for free. Because when we are working on a warranty issue chrysler dont want to pay us crap to diagnose your problem correctly the first time. And I hope some of them A-HOLES in detroit read this. If you want good CIS scores chrysler, pay us for our time to fix your B.S. Call chrysler and complain to them that they are not paying there dealerships to fix the problem right the first time. And god I am so glad that they are going to the can bus system so people will have to bring it back to the dealer. And it makes me feel all warm inside when I get to fix a garages screw up because they didn't have the right stuff to fix it in the first place. Or the ones they want even attempt to fix the ones that are so easy to fix. That really lets me know that you cant beat factory trained jeep technicians at what they know best. FIXIN JEEPS.......
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I don't think he was attacking you personally. If I've heard the term "stealership" once, I've heard it 1000 times here. Most people here use that term for one reason or the other but they all feel that they have been screwed over in one way or the other. It's not YOUR fault, but I don't know many people that like throwing away good money to have something professionally fixed only to have it break again. Sure people don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but they do see the end results, lot's of money being spent on something they already spent a whole lot of money on to begin with. I think we are on the same side here, and should be blaming Chrysler for shotty factory work, but in the end it's your "stealership" they end up at. I don't think the factory does repair work that I know of

It's nice to get another perspective from the inside though. Sounds like you need a vacation

Take care,

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
NCjeeps

It's not the techs that screw things up for the dealerships. It's the salesmen who wouldn't know the truth if it kicked them in the teeth... I always feel like I've been screwed when I buy a car... ALL dealerships are slimey... it's how they make money.

The techs in the back are the guys that keep the wheels on (both your vehicles and the dealerships themselves). My dad was a Cadillac tech for 25 years, now he works on Hummers... Total of about 35 years spinning wrenches. I hate when people badmouth techs... those people should fix it themselves...

Another fact: The repeat business that dealerships get (and brag about constantly) is not from the reach-around they get at sales. It's from post sales service. That's a fact - any honest dealership will tell you that.

'99 Flame Red Wrangler Sport - "Ol' Red"

Banks header, RE 2" BB, JKS Discos, 32x11.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs, 15x8 AR767, LOD Swing-out, busted knuckes, etc.
NCjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
Jeep-Tech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
I don't think he was attacking you personally. If I've heard the term "stealership" once, I've heard it 1000 times here. Most people here use that term for one reason or the other but they all feel that they have been screwed over in one way or the other. It's not YOUR fault, but I don't know many people that like throwing away good money to have something professionally fixed only to have it break again. Sure people don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but they do see the end results, lot's of money being spent on something they already spent a whole lot of money on to begin with. I think we are on the same side here, and should be blaming Chrysler for shotty factory work, but in the end it's your "stealership" they end up at. I don't think the factory does repair work that I know of

It's nice to get another perspective from the inside though. Sounds like you need a vacation

Take care,

Never thought he was attacking me personally. But when you call it stealerships you talk bad about our industry as a whole.

What do you call a garage that screws you over? I think most people are just mad because it has become to where you have to have a very high mechanical background to be able to diagnose these things correctly the first time. And that leaves only one alternative to the back yard wanna be's that lack the know how on how to fix the problem.

But people here are glad and love it when people like me and other professional techs take there time to answer your mechanical questions. And you love us for that.

There has been allot of times on here I see someone wanting to know the answer to there problem and what it will take to fix it, and I have read before where they call the dealers crooks and I know the answer to there question but will not answer because I work at the stealership as they call it. So I'll just let them spin there wheels and bang there heads. I probably know more about a grand than the people who built it. So don't bad mouth the ones that fix your chrysler made product. We just sell them and fix them. Where here to make money, not give things away to make friends.

I don't need a vacation, I NEED A RAISE.........................
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #15
WBowie
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Tech1
There has been allot of times on here I see someone wanting to know the answer to there problem and what it will take to fix it, and I have read before where they call the dealers crooks and I know the answer to there question but will not answer because I work at the stealership as they call it. So I'll just let them spin there wheels and bang there heads. I probably know more about a grand than the people who built it. So don't bad mouth the ones that fix your chrysler made product. We just sell them and fix them. Where here to make money, not give things away to make friends.

I don't need a vacation, I NEED A RAISE.........................
Then maybe you should offer the help people need and help change peoples minds about dealerships and techs.
WBowie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.