2004 WJ Transmission "Buzz" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 WJ Transmission "Buzz"

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
WJ_Infinity

2004 WJ Transmission "Buzz"

All,

I'd like some help on a transmission noise in neutral I have been chasing on my Jeep.

Info: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 60k miles, 4.0 I6, SelecTrac, 42RE transmission.

Problem: Transmission makes buzzing sound for a period of time (approximately 5 - 10 seconds) when in neutral. The noise is most noticeable when the transmission is shifted from park to neutral but will also make noise when shifted from drive to neutral. The noise will go away after remaining in neutral for a few seconds.

Steps So Far: I have changed the transmission fluid ( Mopar ATF+4) and filter (Mopar) and also verified correct flud level (in neutral). I have also looked at various TSB's regarding a similar issue (TSB#210899) however the TSB doesn't appear to affect 2004 model Jeeps and also states that the noise occurs in reverse, not neutral.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? The Jeep drives and shifts fine but I am concerned there might be an underlying issue.

Thanks!

WJ_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

thats funny bc every WJ ive rode or driven makes that buzz when shifting from any gear into park. Kinda opposite from what your getting but I thought it was normal. just another noise a jeep makes....Ill shut up now bc im no help
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The noise is normal. anytime i go from reverse to drive/park or back to revers. but mine only lasts 1 sec or so. it's just shifting into gear.. my friends overland does the same thing. we both have the 545rfe tho. the problem would be maybe if it's buzzing to long. maybe having trouble getting into gear
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

This is a completely normal sound, it happens whenever the transmission shifts, usually you can't hear it due to road noise, but it's normal.

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

ya but if it's buzzing extra long it might not be "normal"
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
WJ_Infinity

Thanks very much to everyone for their responses. I'm concerned that the noise lasts for more than just a second.

The noise is loudest after first shifting in neutral and then slowly reduces in volume until you can't hear it. The transmission bellhousing was slightly damp but I haven't removed the inspection cover to see if the pump may be leaking.

Any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Thanks again!
WJ_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

IIRC the "buzzing" noise has something to do with the solenoids heating up or something along the lines of that. You may have bad solenoids, or in simplier terms, a partially bad trans.
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
thats funny bc every WJ ive rode or driven makes that buzz when shifting from any gear into park. Kinda opposite from what your getting but I thought it was normal. just another noise a jeep makes....Ill shut up now bc im no help
Im going to quote my self, can I do that? neways: x2 the noise being longer than just a second or two. that might be a problem. (the noise I thought was normal only lasted for a second or two)
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
ShadowTek
2004 WJ 

I also have an 2004 4.0 with the 42re, and mine does the exact same thing.

It only does it when it's cold, and it tends to be louder the colder it is outside. It usually goes away completely once the fluid has fully warmed up, and it never makes a noise in the summertime.

I've changed the fluid with ATF+4, checked the fluid level peroperly, replaced the filter, and adjusted both bands, but it's had no effect on this noise issue.

I bought it when it was around 110k, and it buzzed a little, but not bad. Now, at 150k, it seems to be a little louded sometimes, and it was louder than I've ever heard it before when I started it recently on a cold day.
ShadowTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.