2004 Overland Build - Need input! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Overland Build - Need input!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2004 Overland Build - Need input!

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Overland where the lease is reaching its maturity. The buyout is so good and the condition of the vehicle is so nice I don't think I can let it go. I completed my TJ build in 2007 and am looking to take on another project.

That said, I have been researching lift kit/tire combos and am not coming up with great information. My goal is this:
- lift the Jeep enough to clear 33's
- decent articulation when the sway bars disconnected
- maintain stock or close to stock ride quality if at all possible
- avoid death wobble
- avoid drive shaft vibration

I have seen some sites state that a 4" coil kit will work with modification to the bumpers. I plan on replacing at least the stock front bumper with a winch-friendly one.

Thoughts please?????

steevireno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
JayIV
2004 WJ 

You'll need a 4.5-5.5'' lift. Clayton's is my number one suggestion. You can get your coils from IRO, they ride way nice.

It'll have great articulation, the WJ's can flex like mofo's.

I liked my MX6s for ride quality, however, the do limit flex about 1 1/2'' compared to a shock of similar size.

DW usually doesn't happen with long arms, thats why I suggested Clayton's. However, in order to avoid it, you'll need to make sure your front end is nice and tight, and none of the steering components are very worn.

As long as you have a double cardan front shaft, and not the CV one (likely you'll have the DC shaft), you'll be good up to 6.5''. Just set your pinion angles correctly.
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
IronManVa
SandSurfer

setup in my sig works for me. wheels great... I had death wobble til I put on a dual SS... it was not bad but every time I disconnected to wheel it seemed to pop up...

some pic threads

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=116
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=119
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=133
www.jeeporvis.com ... www.jeepartist.com ... www.kmaoffroad.org Virginia Beach ... www.obxbreakers.comOff season Jeeper Deals

Last edited by IronManVa; 05-09-2008 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: some pic threads
IronManVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jay. Are you using the IRO colis? Would you compare the ride of your Jeep with a 6.5 lift to that of close to stock?
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Diehard

2004 WJ 

After you lift it, put better offroad tires, unless you do 2 sets of tires, the ride will not be like stock. Mine is at 3.25", (2.5" pucks and UC springs), with the MX-6 shocks and 265/75/16 10 ply Maxxis Bighorns. The ride is a little stiffer, but you would have to expect that. It was my DD till last month. I laid it on its side and now after its fixed I'll be using it as an offroad vehicle. I'll be looking at long arms also, but only a 4" lift, (I have a height restriction since I'm in a wheelchair and getting in and out has to be considered). Good luck on your build and post up some pics.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good point on the tires... I probably won't keep two sets as I do not intend this to be a daily driver, however want to be comfortable on extended trips with the family for an off-road excursion - the nearest park for me 90 minutes away and my wife and I don't to be bouncing around to and from the ride. I have Truxxus Tires on my Wrangler which are fairly quite and priced well which I will probably mimic on this set up. I plan on using the stock 17" rims - not sure how wide I can go on these, but will use a spacer at first if I need some extra wheel spacing.

I am glad to hear that I can get away with a 4-4.5" lift with 33's - I didn't want to go up too high.

Sorry to hear you laid yours over.
Unread 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Diehard

2004 WJ 

I wasn't even offroading it, but at least they didn't total it.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevireno View Post
Thanks Jay. Are you using the IRO colis? Would you compare the ride of your Jeep with a 6.5 lift to that of close to stock?
It will ride nothing like it does when stock. Even with LA's they soften the ride, but its not even close to stock, who ever tells you otherwise hasn't gone back and forth from driving their lifted WJ to a stock one.

It will ride similar to a 3/4 pickup truck.

You can fit 285/75R16's on 4" and some trimming, I bet you could do it with 3" of lift and a bit more trimming, and at 3" your keeping your control arm angles fairly mild to retain ride quality and keeping your pinion angles in good shape.

IMO if you already have a trail rig its silly to lift your overland especially with the fore casted gas prices
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can tolerate the ride of 3/4 ton pickup - I am trying to stay away from the ride of a go-kart.

You raise an interesting point - considering I would be pulling off the front bumper and replacing it with a winch friendly after market version and could potentially do the same for the rear do you think I could actually get away with a 3" lift??? Is it the bumpers that are the concern or the fenders?
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
steevireno
1997 TJ Wrangler 

By the way, you have 03 ZJ in your signature - shouldn't that be WJ?
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
FooK
2002 WJ 

I think the first thing you need to do is downgrade the RB1 navigation cd player it has to a single disc more basic one...like mine...

I'll trade you, that will cure it!

Haha

Seriously though, I like the looks of the Teraflex 4" system, minus the pitman arm and track bar. I'm probably gonna run that on my 02 WJ, along with a JKS adjustable track bar, and then Kevin's stabilizer relocator. I think it will be a good setup. We run their 4" system on our company JK. Rides very nice.
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
nierace
2003 WJ 

your going to rub on the fenders up front without trimming unless you dont wheel it, otherwise bumpers are only place you'll really rub. In back with extended bump stops out back you should be ok with 33's.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevireno View Post
Hell no lol. But for a vehicle lifted 6.5'', it sure rides damn nice.

I'm using IRO coils with Clayton's LAs, JKS tracbar, any many, many other various parts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.