2004 Grand Cherokee front end shakes during braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Grand Cherokee front end shakes during braking

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
ashbrooke
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2004 Grand Cherokee front end shakes during braking

I have a stock 04' Grand Cherokee Limited Edition w/Quadtra Trac II 4x4, with 90,000 miles.

My problem is whenever I apply the brakes, the front end and steering wheel shake very bad. This was happening with the older tires and new ones I had put on last summer. Someone suggested that since the brakes haven't been serviced for quite a while that maybe the front disc have worn unevenly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Classic warped rotors. There are a couple options. Either replace with the OEM rotors or what ever your local parts store has (replace the pads at the same time), or pick up some Brembo rotors online (from www.tirerack.com for instance) and those shouldn't warp ever again. Or if you want a performance upgrade, check out Stillen rotors (There is a great vendor on here - you can email him at kolak@aol.com - tell him youre a JF member and get a discount).
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

X2

I have brembo oem replacements. They have been perfect for years.
Unread 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
ashbrooke
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I tried finding Brembo rotors but two places I talked to said they didn't make them for Cherokees' after 1999.
No problem though, I'll just get another aftermarket brand. I decided to get the Hawk disc pads though. I've got them on my Wrangler and they seem to last forever.
Unread 05-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Well, rotors for a 99 would work. Regardless of what brand of aftermarket rotor you buy, make sure that they are a single cast rotor, not two pieces like the stock rotors. That is a key to minimizing warpage.
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
ashbrooke
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that info.
I tried tirerack.com but they only had one Brembo rotor in. I'll have to look around.
Unread 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
ashbrooke
2000 TJ Wrangler 

More problems discovered......Help!

Well I've got the brakes disassembled but I noticed the slide pins on the caliber bracket don't slide in and out, so I ordered another set.

Has anyone had a problem with them being seized up?

Also, I think I've found another problem on the right side. When I rotate the wheel by hand, I can hear a grinding sound. I hope it's just a bearing, has anyone had this problem also.
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Are these the same slide pins that I've heard will come when buying new pads? At lease I've heard the stillen metal matrix pads come with new slides/clips or whatever.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
ashbrooke
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had to order these separate at the dealership, I'm picking them up today. If I can upload pics, I'll do that later today. I just hope I can get the old ones off without too much trouble, I assume just a wrench and a cheater bar is all that is needed.

Of course, I see now that my Haynes Repair Manual for 2004 does not have the same front brake assembly as what is actually on my vehicle. Does anyone have a close-up picture of the clips for the pads?
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
J_Tronco
2001 WJ 

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 AWD. It shakes violently with braking at a high speed. I researched different things it could be. I did not think it was the rotors because I recently had them turned. Some people said its the steering stabilizer or tie rod ends. I replaced the tie rod ends first and it did not fix the problem. However, they were very worn out and needed to be replaced anyway. I have ordered a new steering stabilizer and I am going to go ahead and order new rotors and pads too. Hopefully, this will fix the problem completely.
J_Tronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

1993-1998 zj
1999-2004 wj

:-)
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.