2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 will crank but won't start... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 will crank but won't start...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
rspi

2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0 will crank but won't start...

Long story or short. Well, I'm at work so here is the short...

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 93,880 miles on it that will not start. I parked it at the office, went to leave 4 hours later and it will not start. It cranks well, but won't turn over. I can not hear the fuel pump.

I hooked up my cheep OBD-II code reader and I get an error message that it will not link to the computer. So I ordered a "programmed computer" and it still does not start. Just cranks and cranks and cranks...

What should I try next???

rspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
mhems001
1993 ZJ 

have you check your vitals, fuel air and spark, to see what in general is keeping it from running
mhems001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
rspi

Well, I thought hooking it up to a OBD-II was checking vitals. I hear no fuel pump...
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

When you first turn your key on you should hear the fuel pump run, in the fuel tank, for a few seconds. If you don't hear it, check your ASD relay and the Fuel Pump relay. You can swap them out with similar. Or test them for normal operation. That is the first step.
jeep210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
rspi

Oh, forgot to mention, I did replace the fuel pump relay. Actually, I have replaced it twice in the past 6 months because I have a problem with the battery terminals having corrosion build up (that was NOT visable). So I figured it out when I replaced the battery.

I'll try replacing the ASD relay (which ever one that is). If that does not work, I will replace the crank shaft sensor (just picked one up from NAPA).
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
mhems001
1993 ZJ 

before you go throwing more guess parts at it
-See if you have spark at the spark plugs
-See if you have fuel at the fuel rail
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
rspi

Ok, I swapped the relays out, still no start. So I want to install this Crank Shaft Possition sensor... Where is it? I hope it's not between the motor and the fire wall. If so, how in the heck do you replace it???
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Go down to an autoparts store and pick up a Haynes manual. It will tell you where and how to test everything is located. It also has a TROUBLE SHOOTING section. DO IT BEFORE you just start dumping money into repairs that may not be the root of your problem

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
mhems001
1993 ZJ 

I second that
Unread 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

I'm with the other members here. Do not throw parts at this trying to fix it. It gets expensive and you may not fix a thing. A Haynes manual will help.

No start problems are related to a fuel or ignition problem. Try cranking it over and check for a spark at the plugs or coil. If you have a spark, the CPS is not the problem. When you turn the key to on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds. Try turning you key on and off but do not try to start. Do this a couple of times then try to start. It could be a fuel issue.

The CPS is a pain to change. On a 4.0 it is on the drivers side bell housing on the transmission. On the V-8's it is on the passenger side.

Ok, I just saw that you have a 2004 and you may have a distributorless ignition. I think you have coil packs for each plug. I could be wrong. Not sure how to check for spark with that ignition. Maybe someone can comment on it. I am not sure.
jeep210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
rspi

And the winner is (drum roll please), Crank Shaft Position Sensor.

Again, the symptoms:

1. Will not start.
2. Can not hear the fuel pump when you try to start.
3. Can not read the computer with the OBD-II code reader. Will not connect or communicate.
4. (Not sure about spark or fuel - my guess is have spark / no fuel).

Not a DIY job, just not enough space for me to reach the part to replace it. A local Jeep mechanic was kind enough to use my NAPA part and did the job for $113.
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspi View Post
And the winner is (drum roll please), Crank Shaft Position Sensor.

Again, the symptoms:

1. Will not start.
2. Can not hear the fuel pump when you try to start.
3. Can not read the computer with the OBD-II code reader. Will not connect or communicate.
4. (Not sure about spark or fuel - my guess is have spark / no fuel).

Not a DIY job, just not enough space for me to reach the part to replace it. A local Jeep mechanic was kind enough to use my NAPA part and did the job for $113.
No Ob2 thats bad.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.