2004 4.0 Misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2004 4.0 Misfire

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
feelingalright
2004 WJ 

2004 4.0 Misfire

I have a Grand Cherokee, 4.0L, 89,500 miles. About six months ago, I was on the highway when it misfired, check engine started flashing. I immediately got it to the dealer who diagnosed cylinder misfire #6 and "fuel injector cuts out electrically". PCM was replaced.

All was well until recently, when I started to notice an occasional rough idle. Then it happened, again, cylinder misfire and flashing check engine. The dealer said the code was P0305B, cylinder #5 misfire, and said it may have attributed to bad gas. Filled the tank, added dry gas, injector cleaner, and was fine for a couple of days when the same thing happened. I then brought it to a different shop. He pulled up the P0305B code and P0205 injector circuit cylinder #5. The injector resistance, wiring and pulse were checked with no problems. Throttle position sensor was checked and found to be OK. He suggested it was a possible bad PCM and to go back to the dealer, which I did. The PCM was under warranty, so he replaced it. Picked it up, drove it, and again, cylinder misfire and flashing check engine.

It starts fine, the problem seems to occur when the engine is at operating temperature after a warm start. I'm reluctant to go back to the dealer.

Any ideas?

feelingalright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
feelingalright
2004 WJ 

I went to another dealer, he de-carbed the valves, ran like a top for a while, and then another misfire with a flashing CEL. Any ideas? O2 sensor? Bad injector or wiring? Any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks.
feelingalright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Have them check the wiring, my buddy with a 2004 is having this same issue right now and has done all the fixes you have but it still throws the code and idles weird.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.