2001 Grand Cherokee Limited rotor removal... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited rotor removal...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 10-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
RickJeep

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited rotor removal...

Hi,

I am currently trying to remove the front rotors from my 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited. I managed to get the caliper and caliper brackets removed, but can't seem to budge the rotors themselves. I can't see any clips holding it on anywhere. I have tried whacking it with a hammer, everything!!

What am I missing? Do I have to remove the centre hub nut???

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Rick

RickJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

well i cant say for sure about yours but mine just slide off.... there may be a retainer on them.... may just need a little penetrating oil..... to loosen it
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
motohead84

rotor removal

I just did my front rotors. If you have the factory rotors on still, there are round retaining clips on the wheel studs that hold the rotor in place. You remove them by clipping them with a set of wire cutters.

On another note, I remember after I cut the retaining clips off, I had to hit the rotor really hard to get it to break free of the hub. I mean REALLY hard, I ended up breaking pieces off the old rotor off before it would break free. Jeep rotors have a history of going bad and becoming cracked and worn, which explains why the rotors come off in pieces.

Hope this Helps.

Andrew
motohead84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
AnDaCo2002

I just did my front brakes and my rotors had the same problem. My dad, his friend, and I tried everything we could think of - hammers, spray, etc. We ended up getting a gear puller and with a couple turns of the wrench they popped right off. It did not harm them either and we were able to have them turned so that we could reuse them.
AnDaCo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
toneytigger

rick get a 3lb hammer and hit the rotor in a star pattern and it will break free ( note)
dont hit it in the area where the pads ride hit it in the crown area just outside the studs and it will break free it semms with dirt heat and a small amount of time the rotors really get stuck on
toneytigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

My 2007 Grand Cherokee is actually SIGNIFICANTLY newer than this thread, but as I was about to give up this thread convinced me to go beat it harder.

You can't hit it in a star pattern as mentioned because of the dust shield but since new rotors are $50, and turning the old ones is $40 I just beat the crap out of mine where the dust shield is cutout and got new ones.

It dinged up the surface, but I am going to use the old rotors to make a semi-portable vice-stand for my garage since I don't really have a solid bench to mount it to.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.