2001 4.0 Piston In Pieces Help!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2001 4.0 Piston In Pieces Help!!!!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
jeepdudeuk
2001 WJ 

2001 4.0 Piston In Pieces Help!!!!!

Hi everyone, well turns out my lifter tap turned out to be a broken piston, after installing a new crank and lifters!!

Car is 2001 Grand 4.0 ltd done 102000 miles with full dealer history.

i have read a few threads on here and understand that the pistons in this year car were weak!!!

No 4 piston is in bits in the sump so will need to replace it, my question is where do I buy one or 6 pistons with rings from and the right price and is there a stronger version that I should install or have Jeep rectified the problem?

Me being from England struggle to get cheep parts or any helpfull info so some help would be great.
I have had a look on globaljeepparts.com is this the right place to help???

Thanks

Unread 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I'll recommend Falcon automotive parts 800-756-1114. They're in Florida and I don't know about international shipping but thats where I got my parts from when the same thing happened to me. They have awesome prices and great customer service.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?

Last edited by StrokedWJ; 09-22-2009 at 05:45 PM..
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

If your piston failure was anything like mine, you're going to want to pull the head off and check for damage to the cylinder walls. It may not be as simple as just replacing the piston.

The wrist pin scored the walls pretty deeply. Mine was the #3 that failed. Drove it around 6 miles like that to get it home.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Dude a little engine restore poured in will take care of that in no time. Restore your horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's 97 ZJ View Post
If your piston failure was anything like mine, you're going to want to pull the head off and check for damage to the cylinder walls. It may not be as simple as just replacing the piston.

The wrist pin scored the walls pretty deeply. Mine was the #3 that failed. Drove it around 6 miles like that to get it home.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- Brian
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

Is the block ok....
Flatlander Racing - AMC & Jeep Engine Rebuild Kits
Master Engine Kits $ 609
Include:Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Oil Pump, Freeze Plugs, Camshaft, Lifters, Pre-lube, and Timing Set, and Valley Pan (if applicable)
.Overhaul Kits$355
Include: Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Thrust Washers, Aux Shaft Bearings (if applicable), and Valley Pan (if applicable).
Re-Ring Kits$229
Include: Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Thrust Washers, Rings, Gaskets, Valley Pan (if
AMC-Jeep 242 4.0 L6 ('99-02)
Note: w/HYPER Pistons51008D $229 $355 $609
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you drove for much time on a cracked piston you're probably in need of some machine work on the block. Or a new block.

Good luck.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
jeepdudeuk
2001 WJ 

piston will be out tonight so will keep you all posted on the block!, can anyone tell me where to get the piston???
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

rockauto, summit, autozone, any other local part store, you name it you can probably get one.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I dunno if you missed my post recommending Falcon...but their prices are the best you'll find. When I called around the local auto parts stores (NAPA, Autozone, etc) the pistons were ~ $45 each. I got the same piston (Speed Pro) for ~ $16 from Falcon. And for whats its worth, I'd REALLY recommend replacing all of them while you're in there. You'd hate to have this happen again.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.