2000 WJ / Dashboard lights stay on / Circle with key light on dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 WJ / Dashboard lights stay on / Circle with key light on dash

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
burnshroom
2000 WJ 

2000 WJ / Dashboard lights stay on / Circle with key light on dash

I posted this earlier in the Cherokee Technical Forum so am just reposting here to see if I can get additional help:

I have been having various issues with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee over the past few months and the topic is descriptive of a few.

I just happened to find this forum today, the day I dropped my jeep off at a shop and felt as if I might get little to no resolution there. I am hopeful but they are right now running a diagnostic (pulling codes).

My issues began several months back and initially began with the check engine light coming on, but was only on one time that I made a less than 5 mile trip and was off the next time I was in my truck. So I thought little to nothing of it.

A few days later I went to lunch and was driving and my truck simply shut off. The check engine light as well as the circle key light came on when it shut off. I pulled over and started it up and it drove fine to lunch and back no issues but this light was still on (now without the check engine light).

This went on for a few weeks as far as this light coming on but only on occassion did the truck shut off. I began simply coasting and putting it in neutral and restarting it and just continuing to drive.

I took it to a mechanic once before and they too pulled the codes. They reset the dash lights and indicated that the truck shutting down was due to a TPS sensor being bad so that was replaced. While they were doing this I went to take my truck home and no longer was able to let any of my windows down. This was the first time this had happened and had not had any issues before.

The door panel will lock and unlock doors and will adjust the driver and passenger mirror, but now none of the door controls will control any of the power windows. They checked this before I left and indicated it was the driver side control switch needed to be replaced, which I priced at about $250 from the dealer.

Also after declining to get that fixed at that time due to lack of funds as I drove home now my seatbelt indicator light will not go off and the dashboad panel lights stay on no matter if headlights are off or on and will only go off when the truck goes off (after a 15 second delay). As well as now when I use the remote to lock the doors on the Jeep the truck lights no longer flash to indicate it locks or unlocks successfully nor is there any longer an audible honk of the horn although if you are close enough you can hear that it does lock and unlock. And also the overhead panel no longer tracks temperature or mileage or anything it did before this visit.

Since then the guages on occassion as well will go heywire in that the gas and RPM and Oil guage and temp guage and speedometer will take turns dying, in that they reset to a "0" position and all the lights on the dash will intermittently go off and on. Check engine, refill gas hazard etc.

I am not at all mechanical as in car repair other than standard things such as changing oil, tires batteries and maybe a tuneup (with help from my brothers), but these things are not standard and seem overly daunting in what may be going on. As I said I just dropped it off at a local mechanics (a different mechanic) in order to see if they can shed some light but as I was explaining things his seemingly bored expression left me doubtful.

I see myself paying him for the diagnostic and being left in the same situation I was in to start with and with no answers.

I know this seems to be a LOT which is why I am posting it.

I just happened across this board and am seeking any kind of insight so I can know where or what needs to be done short of leaving my truck on the side of the road and walking away.

I guess I am just posting all of this here to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks in advance,
Alfred H.

(Later on):

Just spent 80 dollars for the guy to tell me he found a blown fuse, but all the above symptoms are still there.

Of course the dash lights and guages issue is intermitent so as of right now everything looks good, but the narcissist in me fully expects them to show up one day soon.

Two things I neglected to mention above is that the truck just recently passed the 125,000 mile mark as well as the AC also stopped blowing cool air but I expect that to just be a A/C charging issue.

burnshroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
VulcanJeep

The first thing you absolutely must do is remove your battery terminals, clean them really well, and reinstall them, TIGHTLY! These WJ's suffer from flakey battery connections, even tho they seem to start ok. Try it, it might fix a miriad of problems that you are having. If that doesn't fix the stalling issues, you may have a bad PCM.
VulcanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
WJChris

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJeep View Post
The first thing you absolutely must do is remove your battery terminals, clean them really well, and reinstall them, TIGHTLY! These WJ's suffer from flakey battery connections, even tho they seem to start ok. Try it, it might fix a miriad of problems that you are having. If that doesn't fix the stalling issues, you may have a bad PCM.
I was just about to post that exact thing...

If you are experiencing electrical "gremlins" like your dash lights are flickering, and your Jeep doesn’t start, but magically will a moment later....

SECURE YOUR BATTERY CABLES!

Here is how to MAKE SURE it’s on there good:

Remove Negative cable. Remove Positive cable.

Take positive cable, loosen the nut all the way out and with a large flat blade screwdriver, carefully pry the ends of the "clamp" apart to open it up wide. Next, seat the "clamp" back onto the battery post, twisting back and forth as you push down. Hold the "clamp" down onto the BASE of the post while tightening it to the post.

Repeat for negative cable.

The reason for all this is due to the batteries posts being conical and is wider at the base. This will ensure a solid connection, everytime!
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
Jimmer
1998 ZJ 

If you don't already have one, make sure that you go buy a battery terminal cleaner tool at the auto parts store.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
MMarino03

dash lights on 2000 jeep grand cherokee

I had the same problem with mine, After ALL the suggustions listed on here and from my friends. A local Jeep Dealer found that 2 wires were crossed in the door causing those issues. The only good thing that came out of my gauges not working for a month was that I kept the same milage! Good luck and try that.

Happy Tanksgiving
MMarino03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.