2000 WJ axle identification and pinion bearing replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 WJ axle identification and pinion bearing replacement

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
kkady
2000 WJ 

2000 WJ axle identification and pinion bearing replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee limited with Quadratrac drivetrain. I spun a pinion bearing in the front axle and need some advice.

First, which axle do I have? I have a shop manual, but do not know which axle is in the quadritrac. Which axle do I read up on to do this repair?

Do I need special tools to do this repair? Whats involved in it? Can anyone direct me to a link which explains this repair in laymans terms? the manual gets to be a bit confusing at times....

What can I expect to pay if I send out to get repaired? If I need special tools or if there are some critical steps involved, I may just send it out to someone who is familiar with it.

Much thanks for the input!!
Kevin

kkady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The only front axle available in WJ's is the low pinion dana 30. What do you mean you spun a pinion bearing? The pinion bearing is supposed to spin, thats what its job is.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

You should have a d30 up front. Replacing pinion bearings is pretty involved and things have to be set to correct tolerances. I would imagine the repair would cost from 300 to 400 dollars.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
kkady
2000 WJ 

I don't know, what do you say when a bearing is shot? My pinion bearing was whining for months up front. Now it makes some ugly grinding and clicking sounds. Painful to drive! its been parked for a week now I refuse to use it. Money is tight and cannot afford much. I've been trying to research repair steps specific for this rebuild but need to I.D. the axle first. Anybody have a link which explains the steps? Also, where can I pick up the parts at reasonable cost? Much thanks,
kkady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

You need almost $1000 worth of tools to do it just right. And the pinion bearing HAS to be done just right.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkady View Post
Anybody have a link which explains the steps?
I'm not trying to be an ***, but you said you have a shop manual. The steps are in there.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
but need to I.D. the axle first.,
see post #2 dude. LP D30.

Quote:
Also, where can I pick up the parts at reasonable cost? Much thanks,
A vendor on this forum, CCOR, has truly unbeatable prices for Yukon parts. Your parts will drop ship from Randy's R&P, but at a fraction of the cost.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.