2000 Limited Starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Limited Starting problem

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

2000 Limited Starting problem

So I go and start my WJ Limited to leave for work and I put the Key in the Iginition and try to turn it to start like normally but the Ignition wont turn at all so i try jerking the wheel maybe it is locked and etc.. but nothing happend after like 10mins of trying to turn the ignition the ignition moves finally and car starts.. This happend 2 days ago but never before in the life of the car.. What could be the problem?

Mopar= Sills,Slush Mats, Splash Guards
Rugged Ridge Rear Grab handles
IPF 920H4 headlights
bbhockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

So you're saying that the ignition would physically not budge? I'm assuming you had it in P, because what you're describing occurs when the vehicle is in gear and you try to start it (maybe it slipped out of gear?) I'm not sure how the sentry key immobilizer system works, but maybe the CPU wasn't picking up the chip in the key?
Unread 06-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

yes the vechile was in park... i even tried my spare key and it did the same thing until finally i tried turning it and it finally turned otherwise you couldn't move the key left or right while it was in the ignition
Mopar= Sills,Slush Mats, Splash Guards
Rugged Ridge Rear Grab handles
IPF 920H4 headlights
bbhockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

Sounds like a mechanical problem in the ignition then...if it happens again take it to a local shop and see what they think.
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
mailforjon
2005 WK 

bad ignition cylinder (tumbler). need to replace then have it keyed to your current key.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.