2000 JGC overheating when sitting in traffic. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 JGC overheating when sitting in traffic.

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Joey P.

2000 JGC overheating when sitting in traffic.

I'm a newb here. This is for my wife's 2000 JGC. Anytime we sit in traffic and no air moving across the radiator, the jeep overheats, or gets real close to overheating. The temp will go from 210 where it usally sits and go up to 260 or more which is the redline for the temp. We pull over, let it cool down and then get on our way if we can move with traffic to get airflow across the radiator. The electric fan does come on and I can feel it pulling air through the radiator so It seems to have enough pull. I flushed the radiator and changed the t-stat from a search I did on this site. When I drained the radiator, it drained out just fine and fast also. Can anyone help us with this? My wife is pregnant and the last Thing I need is to have her broke down somewhere. Thanks!

Unread 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

I would say it maybe a seizing water pump but you would see effects of that in other places. Your Power steering would be weak, alternator charge low... and not to mention the belt would break fairly quick.

Start the jeep and bore yourself by watching the tempature gauge and make note at what temperature your radiator fan actually comes on. It may be turning on late which would indicate a bad coolant temp sensor.

Does this happen every time or just on and off? If it's an intermittent problem it could be the fan relay.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

You don't specify the engine, but if you've got the 4.7 and unless I'm mistaken the 4.7 has a combination of electric fans and a clutch fan that changes its speed dependent upon the engine temp (at least my 00 Dakota 4.7 did). If the electric works fine and the other one works fine, then I'd look at the possibility of air trapped in the system or a stuck thermostat...I know thermostats are supposed to stick open if they break, but it's worth a look. And if I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I messed with the cooling system on my Dakota), it's pretty easy with the 4.7 to show full coolant in the overflow tank and still have air trapped in the system...I know I had to be really careful about refilling the cooling system after I installed the lift on my Dakota to ensure there was no air in the system. I'm assuming that the coolant temp sensor is ok if the electric fans come on when they're supposed to.

My old Dakota 4.7 had an overheating issue right after I bought it...symptoms were exactly what you described except that the electric fan wouldn't come on, and sitting in traffic my AC would blow lukewarm air...above about 35 mph it would blow ice cold. The dealer was about ready to replace the entire wiring harness on it when he saw that the electric fan wasn't plugged in...it was either not plugged in at the factory or it came unplugged somehow between the factory and the dealer's car lot. It was amazing to see what a little electricity can do for an electric fan!

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

If your t-stat was stuck open it would run cold and the probability of it is rare unless it is a failsafe t-stat . Maybe the fan is not kicking up like you said or quite possibly it is the new t-stat that is bad.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
mailforjon
2005 WK 

had the same problem. t-stat was stuck SHUT so that at idle, there was no coolant moving through the block and the temp gauge would raise. when i would accelerate, the pressure in the system would increase (as the water pump pressure increased?) and the thermostat would be forced open and allow coolant to recirculate.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Bob D.

Dollars to donuts it's a dead fan.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Joey P.

Engine is the 4.0 inline 6, electric fan only. This appears to be intermittent but I'm not positive. It does heat up rather quickly going up hills and what not and so far twice sitting in traffic in 80 degree heat it's done it. When going up hills however, It's still moving and has air across the radiator so it's never been too much of a problem or a worry of overheating. The fan when I sit and let the car heat up does come on between 200-210 and then shuts off at 200. When moving and air across the radiator, the coolant gauge(looking at the idiot gauge in the vehicle) stays at around 200 or so. My wife did say that the second time it happened in traffic, she pulled over, shut the car off to let it cool down and then in 10 minutes started it back up. the temp went down to 250 but was wanting to steadily climb back up. She shut the car off when it hit 260. She said that she could hear the coolant bubbling in the overflow tank. When she could move with traffic again, she had no more problems. Again, like I said I did put in a new thermostat. New t-stat or old t-stat it still does the same thing. Car heats just fine....Maybe fan relay? where is the relay and now much is a new one for that. My wife dosen't have the knowledge to see if the fan is moving when it starts to overheat and the times it's started to overheat, it's all been while it was only her driving. Thanks guys, sorry to be so long.
Unread 06-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Joey P.

Bump to the top
Unread 06-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Please excuse what may seem like a simple-minded question, but have you checked the coolant level when the engine was cold? If not, check the overflow reservoir, and also look at the level in the radiator.
Unread 06-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Joey P.

Thanks, however I have checked the coolant level when cold and everything is fine. The resivoir has the right amount in it also.
Unread 06-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Until you can get it fixed a simple quick fix for the overheating part while stuck in traffic is to turn the heat on and push it to the floorboard wide open. I know it sucks because it's hot but roll down the windows and it's tollerable. I know it's not the solution but it will keep you from overheating in traffic, I've done it several times in my other car.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Joey P.

I'll try that but I need to figure this out, soon.
Unread 06-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I hear you, luckily my other car is a convertible, I got stuck out on I-64 oneday during rush hour when some semi decided to play Duke boys and jump the corner instead of turning and falling off the bridge, so we sat there for hours with them maybe letting one car through ever 5 minutes or so. I just happen to notice the thermostat was a frogs hair away from redline, so I put it in neutral turned the heater on high and towards the floor and it started dropping it pretty much instantly. Dropped the top and got me a little STL tan, you get darker here because of the exhaust and smog

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Bob D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P.
Engine is the 4.0 inline 6, electric fan only. This appears to be intermittent but I'm not positive. It does heat up rather quickly going up hills and what not and so far twice sitting in traffic in 80 degree heat it's done it. When going up hills however, It's still moving and has air across the radiator so it's never been too much of a problem or a worry of overheating.
The electric fan may not be operating properly.
The fan has a high and low speed. It needs the high speed mode to keep from overheating while stopped or when the motor is working hard.
It's easy enough to check; turn on the AC while sitting still and let it run until the temp. climbs past 210 deg. The fan makes a distinctive whine when it kicks into high, so listen for that to happen. If it doesn't change pitch when it gets hot, the module is probably bad.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #15
RFisher

heater cools car down

If heater is cooling down engine, it might be safe to assume the water pump is good as you have circulation thru the heater? Is that correct, can someone confirm? Was new radiator checked out by shop?
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.