2000 Jeep grand Cherokee stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee stalling

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
gregsbabe1

2000 Jeep grand Cherokee stalling

I have a 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 v8 that has been stalling. Doesn't matter if i am driving or at a light, it dies. I have replaced the Crank Shaft sensor, Cam shaft sensor and the air idle control valve all of which the mechanic said was the problem, still stalling sometimes it will start right back up and other times it takes 10 tries. Any ideas!!!

gregsbabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
gregsbabe1

anyone?????
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
I have a 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 v8 that has been stalling. Doesn't matter if i am driving or at a light, it dies. I have replaced the Crank Shaft sensor, Cam shaft sensor and the air idle control valve all of which the mechanic said was the problem, still stalling sometimes it will start right back up and other times it takes 10 tries. Any ideas!!!
Try to check your fuel filters or filter which can clog with debris while the engine is running, sometimes the filter will clog while under pressure and clear when the fuel pump is off. I know this may be a long shot, however this happened to me once a long time ago and that is what made me think of it! GOOD LUCK!!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Any codes? You need to put a pressure tester on the fuel rail to determine if the fuel pump is pushing out the correct pressure. That's another trouble spot on these trucks. I had the same symptoms but it did throw a code and turn out to be the camshaft position sensor

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
gregsbabe1

No codes, the only code we ever had was for the crack sensor which we replaced and still have the issues. I have not checked the fuel pump or pressure though. We were driving on Sunday and it died at a light, took five minutes to restart and dies again after we started moving again, then started right up.
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sounds like the issue a few others have had where the PCM has issues with various solders inside the box. Look through these threads (a few pages deep), or do a search for a write up on what has been found on this topic.

Unfortunately, a replacement is not always the cure as it can have th esame intermittent issues.

Has your jeep been ridden hard on a trail or rocks enough to "jar" the vehicle and loosen up things? I'm wondering what factors can contribute to the PCM issues showing up.... Does it happen at any time or once warmed up? Cold day or hot day? When exactly did this issue first appear and wehat took place just before it that was out of the norm for you or the vehicle? Deep freeze...or super hot day?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
gregsbabe1

It is only when we have been driving around, it is warmed up. when it first started i would be driving and it would seem like it stalled but all I had to do was pump the gas a few times and it would resume. Now it full out dies. We only have 75000 miles on it and it is a 2000. never been used for anything but road, it has been babied. we had 76 yesterday and it stalled, and it has stalled in 60 degrees as well. We did the PCM screw fix and still stalls. If it is the PCm, how much does that run and do you have to have it programmed at the dealership? I hate to put tons of money in it ( which I do not have) and have it keep stalling. I have already put in $600.
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Cycle your key in the ignition 5 times (on-off-on-off-on) and it may give you an error code. Look up the code and there ya go. If you have a digital odometer.

Also, it may be a crank shaft sensor. Happened to me, intermittently stalled out.I just had to wait a couple minutes and it would start up again.
gmp211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp211 View Post
Also, it may be a crank shaft sensor. Happened to me, intermittently stalled out.I just had to wait a couple minutes and it would start up again.
He already replaced it, its in the OP :

Have you had a tuneup done recently, what is the condition of the plugs/wires. Running Seafoam through the engine will help break up engine deposits which could help.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
gregsbabe1

It had an extensive maintenance done on it 4 months ago. When we go for a code it says "Done"
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
It had an extensive maintenance done on it 4 months ago. When we go for a code it says "Done"
Done meens no codes. That's not going to help you. When it's in no-start mode, see if you can hear the fuel pump cycle on in the rear when you turn on the ignition. It sounds to me like it's fuel starved, which is probably your fuel pump. Like I said earlier, it is a known common problem on these trucks

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
gregsbabe1

I hear something and some sort of rattle noise behind the glove box. how do I check for fuel pump issues? My husband and I are not familiar with jeeps.
Unread 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Have your husband kneel by the rear wheel well on the drivers side while you turn the key to the "ON" position. he should hear a whine, this is the fuel pump. If you dont hear a whine your pump isnt priming. You could also check the fule pressure at the rail.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
jeepsgonewild

Quote:
It is only when we have been driving around, it is warmed up. when it first started i would be driving and it would seem like it stalled but all I had to do was pump the gas a few times and it would resume. Now it full out dies. We only have 75000 miles on it and it is a 2000. never been used for anything but road, it has been babied. we had 76 yesterday and it stalled, and it has stalled in 60 degrees as well. We did the PCM screw fix and still stalls. If it is the PCm, how much does that run and do you have to have it programmed at the dealership? I hate to put tons of money in it ( which I do not have) and have it keep stalling. I have already put in $600.
I have spent $1000 trying to figure my stalling issue so I know it is very difficult to pinpoint a remedy. It drove me nuts!! Well, I just put in a new PCM yesterday and I havn't had one issue since, for a 96 gc laredo model the PCM ran me $300 (without core) at autozone.

It's a remanufactured PCM, 100% computer tested to be working properly so it should be just as good as a new one. If you bring your old PCM to autozone you get a discount of $85 in my case at least. The one from autozone is reprogrammed, don't know if it is plug and play but just had Jeep dealer "program" it for me since they said it has to be programmed. Before all of this I thought I fixed it a few times.

I had changed fuel filter which had black gas coming out from the dirt build up, thought this was it, but it was not. I changed a vacuum hose that was not even connected, thought that was it, wasn't. Also had changed, temp coolant sensor, crank sensor, iac, tps, air filter, ignition coil, pickup coil, spark plugs and wires. thermostat and housing, finally I just bought the PCM and it has been working nice for 2 days, has not been "glitching" out on me where I get a sudden rpm drop. Goodluck!!
jeepsgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Ok...Here ya go. Post #6 mentioned it but if you don't wanna search, here's your 1 bone for being a newbie.

I knew I had read about this from months & months ago....did a search & hope this will help.

Given the amount of $ you've spent, you might try to see if there's someone with some options for you. (Friend with a jeep & some technical skills that can look this over and assist.) Maybe some pizza or proper dinner would go a long way to rely on a friend. Anyway, if the part gets pulled and there's no issues with it upon very close examination, you'll know there's something else to look at. In any case, look this thread over.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666072

It also refers to this thread which will assist whoever goes after this issue.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/wj-pcm-repair-overhaul-666225/

Good luck with this...

Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.