2000 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
mdevinc

2000 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Hello,

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee (WJ) and I am trying to figure out what model of transmission I have. The reason is because I need to change the fluid and I want to drop the pan and replace the filter. The Jeep has 85,000 miles on it and is used mostly for my girlfriends commute to work, round trip 30 miles. I am a fellow Jeeper. I started with a 77 CJ5 as my first car when I was 16, rebuilt the tranny back then with an old blind guy that knew everything there was to know about them.

Anyway, a few days ago my girlfriend started noticing some "slipping" in the tranny. She said it clunked into 2nd or 3rd gear, not hard, but made a sound you don't normally hear. I confirmed this last night coming back from Cinqo de mio, forgive my bad Mexican grammer.

Sure enough when you take off from a stop sign at a normal chop, and keep it around 20 mph, it clunked into what felt like 2nd or 3rd. Not very loud or hard, but enough to be a problem.

I have a Haynes manual for this thing but I can't find anywhere what model the transmission is. I went to Autozone tonight and they could not tell me, either it was a 45rfe or not. And the tranny fluid was for a 45rfe or not. A lot of help they were.

So this is what I need from you guys out there in Jeep land:

1. Help me determine what model the tranny is.
2. What type of fluid do I need and how much is required when I drop the pan?
3. Should I add any other additives to this?

Also, could the bands be loose or causing this problem? Again, the Jeep has about 85,000 miles on it and I don't think the fluid has ever been changed, if it has it was flushed about 40,000 miles ago.

How do I get all the fluid out of the system? I know not all of it comes out when you drop the pan, so how is this done other than flushing?

I have a local Jeep dealership in my town so I can get the parts pretty quick if need be from them.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

mdevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
mdevinc

I forgot to mention, this also is a 2WD and has the 4.0 inline 6.

Thanks,

Mike
Unread 05-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Othoni

1)Your transmission model is "42re"

2)You should use ATF+4 fluid which is only available at the stealership. Do not use use ATF+2 or ATF+3 to top off vehicles that have ATF+4 fluid.

3)If you drop the pan and replace the filter I would put atleast 5 quart, check the dipstick to see if you require more fluid.

4)I've never added any additives in my tranny so I can't help you on that but others here on the forum might be able to give some advice.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
mdevinc

Thanks for the reply. I hear ya, stealership. I will call them now.

I will let you know what I find.

Mike
Unread 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
mdevinc

Does anyone have any idea what size bit I need to take off the tranny filter? Is it Torx or Star or are they the same? I alway thought they were different, and if I can get away with just buying the one size I need instead of a whole set, that will save me some money!

Thanks for the help,
Unread 06-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

You are going to need about 7 quarts of ATF-4.Five will not be enough.I recently did mine.I cannot recall what size the filter bolts were.No additives required.
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I can't remember if the WJ 42RE was the same as the ZJ 42 RE, (I've had both) but I believe it's a T-25 Torx. If it's not that it's a T-20. You can get a whole set up to T-50's at Harbor frieght tools for about $10 and you'll be able to use it for lots of things.

Harbor freight set

The tools here are not the best, however for more shade tree mechanics they work great, not to mention we can afford them. I'm a mechanic for the Air Force and we can find a way to break anything. So we buy stuff that's warrantied. Not even Craftsman are strong enough for us!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.