2000 grand cherokee front end clunking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 grand cherokee front end clunking

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
peters
1946 CJ3A 

2000 grand cherokee front end clunking

i have a 2000 larado with quadratrac, as soon as the front end engages i hear a very loud clunking noise, (quick like 3 clunks per second) for as long as i hold the throttle. i thought it was a cv joint but they seem ok. in 4 low it not constant but any time u give it a little gas it clunks repetidly. has anyone heard of this or does anyone know what else i should check for. Also the front diff seems to be tight but i havent pulled the diff cover yet. drive shaft also seems ok but havent pulled it yet either.

peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
nick62087
1999 WJ 

i had something similar on mine. Which style front drive shaft do you have?

I pulled my DS out and the noise went away.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
peters
1946 CJ3A 

i have the one with the cv at either end but pulling it out and the noise going away doesnt mean that it wasnt a diff noise
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
peters
1946 CJ3A 

i have narrowed it down to t case noise, anyone know of any natorious problems with those ones
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

I've been tracking down a weird groan / binding noise for awhile now. At first I was pretty sure it was my, passanger side CV axle shaft, from what it sounded like. Changed that, still had the problem. Then I found my tie rods were worn, but wasn't counting on that being the problem. I changed my tie rods and now I have no more bump steer, but the problem is still there.

I'm down to either front diff issue, t-case, or bearings.....

I'm not spending any more time or money until I know what it is or it breaks! I plan on pulling my front drive shaft this weekend to see if that makes it go away. Like the OP said, if that makes the problem go away, it's either your diff or t-case. That's a free test to narrow it down. That's what I'm doing. If you don't know what it is, start with the free stuff, then the cheap stuff, or just let it break and you'll know what it is.

Edit: Yes, the all time 4-Wheel drive makes the NV147 or NV247 wear quite a bit quicker. It's always in use. If I find it's my t-case, I'm doing a swap to the NV242 Selec-Trac t-case. Then, you can choose when you want 4WD. Yaaaay!! I hate all time 4WD, it's pointless!

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Coming soon: 31" KM2's | 15x8 Cragar V-5's

Nightcrew #236 | Blue Jeep Club #232

"those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

Last edited by UrbanOffRoad124; 09-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Added info....
UrbanOffRoad124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
peters
1946 CJ3A 

well ive decided screw fixing the t case im gonna swap in a selec-trac, thumbs up to that
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was more of a popping sound when the front end would engage. It was a stretched chain. When I popped mine open, I could push the chain against the case with my fingers. My guess is the popping was caused by the chain jumping. Anyway, I replaced the chain and have been good since. I've got a thread on here somewhere covering all of this. By the way, a new chain is just over $100. Good luck.

Edit:

Here's my thread, hope it helps:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...-np247-761102/
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
NickJr44
2002 WJ 

i recently had a very similar problem with a loud, constant vibration type noise during any type of driving. i thought it was my t case. but it ended up being my front driveshaft and the double u joint configuration off of the t case. took out my front driveshaft and im leaving it out till it snows. better mileage, faster, burns out easily now. just way more fun havin 2 wheel drive. i forgot about it
NickJr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanOffRoad124 View Post
I plan on pulling my front drive shaft this weekend to see if that makes it go away. Like the OP said, if that makes the problem go away, it's either your diff or t-case. That's a free test to narrow it down. That's what I'm doing.
Wait a sec. It could also mean the drive shaft itself is bad. Dont overlook the obvious!

Those CVs can do some weird things when they go bad.

Give the DS a good wiggle in all kinds of directions to replicate the sound and check for excessive play.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJr44 View Post
i recently had a very similar problem with a loud, constant vibration type noise during any type of driving. i thought it was my t case. but it ended up being my front driveshaft and the double u joint configuration off of the t case. took out my front driveshaft and im leaving it out till it snows. better mileage, faster, burns out easily now. just way more fun havin 2 wheel drive. i forgot about it
Im sorry, but this is very bad advice.

You DO NOT get better gas mileage by doing this!

In normal (dry pavement) driving conditions, the t-case will almost NEVER need to send power to the front wheels. Even when it does its only for a cpl seconds until the rear wheels get traction again.

The gears, etc. are still rotating in the front axle, they just arent under load.
This is why a 2wd MODEL Jeep gets better mileage. The front axle is different, giving different amounts of drag.

Here's where it gets worse.... DO NOT do burn outs with a 247 t-case under NO circumstances. The PC will live a much shorter life.

Glad to save you from future 4wd repairs.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
sean924
1998 ZJ 

i have the EXACT same problem right now, im going to pick up a 231 t case tomorrow, stupid quadratrac!
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Wait a sec. It could also mean the drive shaft itself is bad. Dont overlook the obvious!

Those CVs can do some weird things when they go bad.

Give the DS a good wiggle in all kinds of directions to replicate the sound and check for excessive play.
Yeah, sometimes these noises can be hard to track down, but I plan on pulling the front drive shaft, checking / changing my u-joints. I have a single / double cardon front drive shaft, thank god. I also plan on pulling my diff cover to check in there and possibly tearing down my t-case to check my chain and output shafts. Process of elimination at this point. But yeah, I kind of skipped over the fact that it could be a u-joint on my drive shaft itself, but I am aware of that. Thanks for the input.

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Coming soon: 31" KM2's | 15x8 Cragar V-5's

Nightcrew #236 | Blue Jeep Club #232

"those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"
UrbanOffRoad124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
peters
1946 CJ3A 

It was my X fer case chain. guess i was wrong about front end but thats what u can check if u think u have a bad front end clunk on hard acceleration
Unread 12-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
mtljeep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters View Post
It was my X fer case chain. guess i was wrong about front end but thats what u can check if u think u have a bad front end clunk on hard acceleration
This sounds exactly like the prob I'm having. How did you repair it?

How could I tell if its the Chain, or just a CV Style front DS?

Last edited by mtljeep; 12-07-2009 at 01:58 PM..
mtljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
peters
1946 CJ3A 

put truck up on blocks and hold brakes and lightly press gas pedal while a guy listens undernieth to where clunk is comming from

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.