2000 GC reliability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2000 GC reliability?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
JC70SS

2000 GC reliability?

My parents are looking to sell there 2000 Limited4.7. It has low miles at 79,000. Just replaced was rear axle seals and brakes, tranny fluid flushed with new filters and front pinion leak fixed.
Anyway I need a DD because my procharged WS6 won't cut it in the snow. This will not be used to tow just a DD. My question is will this hold up for the long haul with regular maintenance? I don't want something that is going to nickel and dime me(already have one)!

Thanks,
Joe

JC70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Short answer: probably will be fine.

The real nickels and dimes come when you start itching to mod it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
JC70SS

no mods! If it doesn't have 600hp at the wheels it doesn't excite me
JC70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
RevNL
1999 WJ 

If you can work on it yourself then it will be fine.

If you can't, and have a lot of money, then it will be fine.

Otherwise, pass.

Or put some all season tires on that Firebird. Michelin Pilot Sport All Season or Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. I've passed stuck SUV's in the snow with my C5 using those. They work pretty well in the summer, too.
RevNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
VT_WJ_2000
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'd say you'll probably be fine. Jeep builds a pretty reliable vehicle. I just sold my old one which was a '88 with 211k on the odo. So your good for 130,000 more miles!
VT_WJ_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

thats a nice vehicle for a DD. There's nothing glaring wrong with the drivetrain in these vehicles. Some annoyances, like AC evaporators, blend doors, tail light housings, head light fogging, etc. Engine and Transmissions are solid. Body rust is almost never a problem. Price should be very reasonable and they look great

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
cmonson

my 2000 limited with an I6 has been great. I'm at 160K No engine or trans work. Rebuilt both diffs, replaced blend door with heater treater, new water pump, new elec fan unit for rad fan, a few other annoyances but nothing major.

Very reliable and easy to work on.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

I absolutely love my WJ as a DD. Last year I tried the car thing and got an Acura 2.3CL. It was reliable, comfortable, handled awesome, looked great, and loaded but I got tired of not being able to leave gravel roads, carry crap, and always having to stare at a bumper while stuck in traffic.

My fiance has an Accord but whenever we go anywhere together it's always in the Jeep. The Jeep gets half the fuel mileage but it's still our vehicle of choice, even on long trips.

Joe, if you've never owned a 4x4 for regular snow-driving, you'll love it and never go back.

As for reliability, I think they're great (for a domestic vehicle). No, they won't compare to a Honda, but for value you can't beat an old Grand. I found the receipt for my '99 parts Grand in the glovebox. In 1999, the guy paid $47,000 CDN out the door for it. They're really loaded, premium vehicles but depreciate fast, allowing guys like us to drive luxury machines for dirt cheap. Your parents' 2000 Grand would probably be worth about the same as a '97 CR-V. Now drive the two of them and see which one you like better. Those two vehicles were engineered to be in totally different classes.

Comparing WJ reliability to its competitors, the Dub wins hands-down (In my educated opinion and common knowledge). They're far better in every way compared to GM's Blazer/Jimmy junk and Ford's Explorer.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.

Last edited by CanadianZed-J; 10-01-2009 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Rambling..
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.