2" spacer removal 245/75-16's at sotck height - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2" spacer removal 245/75-16's at sotck height

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
So, you're telling me that lifts of any kind are illegal in Maryland?
That's farckled up, man. Who comes up with this stuff, anyway?
Liberals

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

There's a insane formula for wheel base and vehicle length that will tell you how high you can lift or 2" lift laws here in mass. No one seems to bother me or any other lifted vehicle I've seen. Seems the cops could care less. But still dumb.

[QUOTE=riot1987;15573985] I learned to tuck my stick....[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=kg6mov;19913617]Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.[/QUOTE]

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Liberals
One day we'll hunt them with dogs.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So my stock measurements from center hub to fender lip are 18.25 front and 19.5 rear. Weird, I thought it would be less. Got too hot to work outside since there was light rain the last two days. Humid as hell. Not getting anything else done.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
So, you're telling me that lifts of any kind are illegal in Maryland?
That's farckled up, man. Who comes up with this stuff, anyway?
No.

http://www.liftlaws.com/maryland_lift_laws.htm

ZJ FSM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Fk&usp=sharing
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Although that is not incorrect info in that link, it doesn't even begin to cover the laws so it's inaccurate at best. Here it is from the horses mouth.

http://www.allcrawl.com/read.php?7,68
Quote:
LiftLaws
Re: Maryland Street Legal Laws
January 03, 2012 10:07AM Moderator

Via Email:
As a law enforcement officer in Maryland, I have to tell you the laws you reference are in the Maryland Transportation Article, and only scratch the surface. The laws that cover vehicle equipment are found in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR). The Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Maryland State Police are tasked with overseeing the correct enforcement of these laws.

A quick easy way to know if your vehicle is illegal height, if you have to modify your suspension in order to fit larger tires under your vehicle, it is an illegal suspension modification... Otherwise it falls back to the stated bumper height regulations found in the Transportation Article and COMAR.
Here is the COMAR in PDF. It's big. In book form it's as large or larger than a nice sized phone book. It's real fun to read if you are trying to kill yourself with boredom. http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Spe...Downloads.aspx
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

That is incorrect information.
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/Sub...rch=11.14.02.*

I guess the Maryland government has it wrong then

Shrug

Edit - Ok, I guess you edited while I was replying. My point was that saying all lifts are illegal was wrong.

Still, makes me glad to live in Ohio, where there are practically no lift restrictions

Cheers

ZJ FSM
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/Sub...rch=11.14.02.*

I guess the Maryland government has it wrong then

Shrug

Edit - Ok, I guess you edited while I was replying. My point was that saying all lifts are illegal was wrong.

Cheers

ZJ FSM
It's basically saying that you can have larger tires as long as they are not more than two sizes larger over stock, but if they stick out past the fender, or you have to lift it for them to fit, or they rub the body anywhere, then it's illegal. But if the tires meet that criteria then the law refers to the bumper height. I'm gonna have to hire a lawyer to interpret this garbage

All lifts in Maryland that are installed in order to fit larger tires that otherwise would not fit are illegal. I haven't found anything yet that says you can't lift the vehicle but keep the stock tires. But that would look stupid.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

sorry to hear about your troubles. so youre not rubbing at all with those tires on stock height suspension?
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
sorry to hear about your troubles. so youre not rubbing at all with those tires on stock height suspension?
That's the reason I made this thread really was for people looking for this size with no lift. And to complain

No rubbing. When I had the 2" spacers on I did trim about and inch off the inner bumper corner. You can't tell though and it took a couple minutes to do. That is the only place it ever rubbed was on that sharp corner inside the wheel well.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
That's the reason I made this thread really was for people looking for this size with no lift. And to complain

No rubbing. When I had the 2" spacers on I did trim about and inch off the inner bumper corner. You can't tell though and it took a couple minutes to do. That is the only place it ever rubbed was on that sharp corner inside the wheel well.
great to know. i believe you posted in my thread a couple weeks ago where i was asking for clarity as to whether i could clear this size tire on stock suspension. i was all kind of disappointed to have to get smaller size tires since i cant afford both tires and lift at the same time. i think it looks pretty damn good at stock ride height with that size tire as well.
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
great to know. i believe you posted in my thread a couple weeks ago where i was asking for clarity as to whether i could clear this size tire on stock suspension. i was all kind of disappointed to have to get smaller size tires since i cant afford both tires and lift at the same time. i think it looks pretty damn good at stock ride height with that size tire as well.
It doesn't look bad but I wouldn't take it off road with the front sway bar disconnected. It would be up into wheel well rubbing for sure. These treadswrights run on the large side though. Other brands are probably a bit smaller.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

I feel bad polka that i didnt warn you well enough about east kalifornia
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
I feel bad polka that i didnt warn you well enough about east kalifornia
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Inspection states are strange, on one hand I would love to see some of the heaps in this area off the road, but thats a little extreme.

I'm running 245/75/16 on my stock niner and it's alright, but I don't wheel it. Ima do upcountry coils and call it good.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.