2 Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2 Questions

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Peter

2 Questions

Ok, I have a 94 JGC Limited with 188k on it. I have a couple questions.

1) We have recently went through a cold snap and I have noticed with the fan on high, lights on and stepping on the break, the voltage really drops. Down to about 9-10 volts or lower depending on the amount of time spend on the break. It continues to drop until you hit the gas for the altenator to charge the battery back up. It has actually stalled out on me after going around corners where you have just came off the break, with the signal on as well as all the other previously mentioned accessories. The battery does charge back to above 14.5 volts when I rev the motor, but only stays there until I hit the breaks again. So would I to assume that the battery is getting weak? The altenator is doing its job by charging the battery, but the batteyr seems to drain really fast.

2) The driver side door seems to have a really big knock/clunk when you open and close it. It does seem to drop a bit when opening it. Would this be because of the door pins? Is there any way to correct this without really resconstructing the door?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Stocker

Not sure but it sounds like the battery may be at fault, as you say. I think Sears, Kragen, Autozone etc will test the battery for you, and probably also the alternator, for free.

As to the door hinge pin, it's not too hard to replace the pins (at least the lower one, which seems to be the worst culprit) and bushings. You need one pin and two bushings per hinge. Here's a pretty good thread on the subject - http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ght=hinge+pins.

Good luck - and welcome to the board!
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
Stocker

Me again - let me clarify the above just a bit. I'm having computer problems and can't make any corrections or re-read the original post without having to completely start over on my reply. Anyway - the condition you described on the drivers door is simply worn out hinge pin bushings, and you may need only to repair the lower one. With the door half-open, lift up on the door and you will see movement or "slop" in the hinge. Per the link I posted above, grind off the head of the pin, support the door, drive out the pin, clean everything up, replace (& lube) the bushings, drive in the new pin, and dab on a bit of JB Weld to hold the pin in place. Your dealer will charge several hundred dollars labor for this, so it's a great do-it-yourself project!
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Jeep99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter

1) We have recently went through a cold snap and I have noticed with the fan on high, lights on and stepping on the break, the voltage really drops. Down to about 9-10 volts or lower depending on the amount of time spend on the break. It continues to drop until you hit the gas for the altenator to charge the battery back up. It has actually stalled out on me after going around corners where you have just came off the break, with the signal on as well as all the other previously mentioned accessories. The battery does charge back to above 14.5 volts when I rev the motor, but only stays there until I hit the breaks again. So would I to assume that the battery is getting weak? The altenator is doing its job by charging the battery, but the batteyr seems to drain really fast.

2) The driver side door seems to have a really big knock/clunk when you open and close it. It does seem to drop a bit when opening it. Would this be because of the door pins? Is there any way to correct this without really resconstructing the door?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

I have a 99' Grand Cherokee, and for the last month the driver door has been making a pop sound .. havent noticed a drop. If you find out any information on this please share.
Jeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
mmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter

My 97 Does something simaler, only on very cold days (sub -25c or so) unless you let it sit and warm up for 10 minutes or so itl stall as soon as you come off the gas at a light or a turn.. When it does stall it can be a bugger to get it going againe withought waiting a while and Ive killed the battery dead trying.. However the "OK" green indicator on the battery is still good..

Ive had it in and the shops cant figure it out, of course its nice and warm by the time I drive there. Ive had the injectors flushed at there advice and still it doesnt seem to help.

Ive also noticed the rather poor batery output you mentioned when running defrosters/wipers/heater/fan on high all at the same time.

Let us know if a new battery fixes you up..
Unread 05-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep99
I have a 99' Grand Cherokee, and for the last month the driver door has been making a pop sound .. havent noticed a drop. If you find out any information on this please share.

There is a détente that holds the door in the half open position and the full open position. The edged surface needs lubricant for the spring loaded roller to move easily over it. That should cure the noise problem and allow your door to operate more smoothly.
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Jeep99

Thank you.. I will most definitely check it out.....
Jeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.