2 Minor issues, wheel rub and rough idle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2 Minor issues, wheel rub and rough idle.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

2 Minor issues, wheel rub and rough idle.

Backstory: I'm currently attending college and my parents are giving me their old zj to use as a daily driver for school. They have been sinking 2k-5k bucks a year into maintaining it for the last 5 years, so its relatively problem free. But two issues plague it that I wanted to ask about.

The first, the rough running, about 7 years back the dash coolant temp stopped working, 5 years back the thermostat broke, engine overheated, and the radiator popped the cap spilling coolant all over the engine. The receipt for the repairs lists a few things pertaining to that, first the third cylinder had a low compression (whatever that means... ), second the exhaust manifold was broken, and third the head gasket was damaged. The shop that did the work told them that it would be more expensive to replace it then to rebuild it, so either rebuild and run rough, or replace and run into thousands of dollars in cost. So I'm wondering if they might have been talking about the whole engine, but the service writer just wrote it down wrong.

The second is a simple and stupid one, I just had the tires replaced, and upgraded from 225/75/15 to LT235/75/15, now the tires aggressive tread just barely touches the control arm at the steering stop. I was going to replace the control arms anyway, and I'm wondering if the aftermarket controls arms might not rub? (Bushings are cracked and creaking, so I figure time to upgrade.)

(Note: Yes my parents still hold the title to this jeep, but we have an agreement in writing for its transfer once I graduate college, the reason is it wouldn't pass inspection at current, and its registered in Tennessee which is cheaper then Virginia.) (No emissions and no safety inspections in TN for the county its registered in.)

The tires are BFGoodrich all terrain T/A KO, I got em for 80 bucks off after the tire place couldn't count its inventory 3 times in a row. (Free alignment ) (I wanted destination A/T, but nowhere seems to have them, there on backorder on tirerack.)

Its an I6 95, stock, I'm looking to upgrade but first I want to fix up the suspension, if its rubber its cracked, engine mount was replaced at some point though. (Tire place took out most of my cash, 900 for 5 new tires, so I still have a budget of 500 or so.)

Last edited by TheHalfWit; 03-03-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Got title wrong, its runs rough all the time, but its only noticible at idle.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
jeepboy3089
2005 KJ Liberty 

well if i were you id pick up 1.25 wheel spacers give ya a wider look and also solve your rubbing problem and as for the other the 3rd cyl could be from the head gasket leaking and not giving you a good seal but if you know anything bout engines ya can replace the head gasket in a weekend
jeepboy3089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

I want to avoid spacers as I'm on a budget, and its just barely touching the lip of the control arm. This is how the side of the control arm is √, and it barely touches the edge, I'm already replacing the control arms so I'm wondering if a tube arm would eliminate that problem.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit View Post
I want to avoid spacers as I'm on a budget, and its just barely touching the lip of the control arm. This is how the side of the control arm is √, and it barely touches the edge, I'm already replacing the control arms so I'm wondering if a tube arm would eliminate that problem.
if its barley touching it should be fine with a tubular control arm, you get about a 1/8'' more clearance
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

That's what I was hoping, the only good thing about the little bit of rubbing so far is that, yes under 15 years of rust and grime, there's metal in there somewhere.

Its spent most of its life in the salt belt so almost every repair invoice mentions rust. The only thing now is I'm hoping someone will answer my question on it's running rough, because if that's caused by the head gasket I'll ask my dad to help me replace it. (He's rebuilt a few performance car engines so this ought to be simple compared to those.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.