2" of Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2" of Death Wobble

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

2" of Death Wobble

(Coincidentally, that was also my nickname in high-school...)

I realize now that I am considering a Budget Boost pretty much solely so I can stick in some Bilstein 5100s in (-- I'm more often on hwy and occasional dirt roads with heavy load than "offroading"). I'm probably NOT going to even be putting larger tires on it.

According to Bilstein, the shortest 5100s for the ZJ (part# front: 24-185622, rear: 33-151670) fit lifts 1.5 - 2"

I really don't want my wife to suddenly discover death wobble while driving it...

Is there much reduction in risk of developing death wobble between the 1.5" instead of 2"

From the DAYS of reading I've been doing I understand that 2" and under death wobble is unlikely (but not unheard of). Is it non-existent at 1.5"

What would putting the above listed shocks in a stock, or 1" lift do? Destroy the shock?

ItsTheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

Death wobble can happen on stock vehicles. Lifting one throws the geometry of everything out of whack, and if things are wore out, you get it. For instance, I threw the bb on mine, even though I knew the steering gear box was worn (read: gone). I got some death wobble on large potholes above 70mph and when my caliper stuck. New stabilizer and gear box, and the thing won't wobble for anything.

As far as the shocks go, if you disco the sway bar and completely stuff a tire very hard without the right length bump stops, you'll bust that shock. If you never stuff the tires, get longer bump stops, or lift to the correct length you'll be perfectly fine. I still have the stock shocks on my zj with a bb, and have wheeled mildly a few times.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can put some hockey pucks inside the springs and rtv them to the center of the perch for extended bumpstops. I have one each on the front. Email kolak@aol.com and ask him this stuff. DW can happen on any vehicle lifted or not. It just depends on if the suspension parts are worn out or not.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

Trying to understand the hockey puck idea... basically by putting in 1" of additional bump stop (the puck) it keeps the shock from over-compressing allowing me to put in a shock that is fitted for 1" longer than stock when compressed? Whereas, adding 1" of spring spacer, the short-limit on the shock is reached (theoretically) but the limit of spring compression with no contact with the bump-stop?

Is this correct?

Edit:
Elsewhere someone mentioned that with a 2" bb no bump-stop is needed... but sounds like this is not true...
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's just extra insurance that I didn't over compress the shock and have the tire dig into the fender well when I had the sway bar disconnected off road. I was told that it wasn't needed but it looked to me from the markings on the shock rod that there was not much more room left to compress so I put the pucks on to make sure. You can measure if you like but I just went with the markings on the shock rod. The tire was actually a bigger issue rubbing all around on stuff and acting like a bumpstop really.
I have the Bilsteins for a 2"-2.5" lift and OME HD coils. I had 2" spacers before though. Worked great all over southern Nevada when I lived there. I used it mainly for old wagon trails and mine exploration. Some light rock garden stuff. I wasn't into the extreme stuff. I didn't want to wreck my 5.9. Had some nice flex for a 2" BB though.
p1010191.jpg   p1010190.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

Further thoughts (DW and lift)

It seems there are a few recurring themes I'm reading:

SINCE:
  1. Any size lift will change the angles in your suspension (be it 1" or 10") and put parts under added strain
  2. Death wobble is not a result of the lift directly, but a result of parts under that strain showing their failing nature
  3. Replacing worn bushings is a good idea on ANY old vehicle -- but the lift might make a more noticeable necessity more quickly
  4. An adjustable track bar will straighten out your axle - and is probably a good idea on ANY sized lift, even a 1"...
  5. Although "under 2 inches" you can get away with ignoring all of the above in many or most instances, the issue still exists: you have changed things, and thus, things will change
THEREFORE:
  • To do a 2" lift properly, one should at the very-very least get an adjustable track bar, replace all worn bushings, and ... what?

Is my conclusion fair? In your opinion, what should one do to get 1.5" - 2" of lift that will minimize downstream effects (lest assume money is no object).

In essence, I'm looking for the best for my ZJ. And, if that means leaving it at stock... I guess I'm OK with that. I mean, it has worked well for me for 15 years.
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

It'll be fine.. Just get one of the many 2'' BB and your choice of shocks. It's not that extreme
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Trust me, you CAN have DW on a stock setup. 'Had it many times, usually due to a loose frame side trackbar mount or worn out trackbar. I do have the upcountry package but it's only an inch higher than stock.

Dont worry, though. It usually only happens on a Houston or Dallas freeway at 65 MPH, in a long sweeping left turn.... in rush hour traffic.... with a hopped up and therefore impatient.... semi truck driver on your tail. No sweat. Hit the brakes, pull over, flip him off and reach for your Sig .45.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
budget boost , death wobble , shock , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.