2" BB and 31's worth the cost off road? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2" BB and 31's worth the cost off road?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I still think a locked ZJ on 30's with skids would out wheel a BB ZJ open with 31's.
Almost certainly! Thats why you spend the little money on the bb and bigger tires and wheel that while you save for better axles and locker! thats my plan anyways and its been fun so far. Hahah

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol @ whiteout!!!

and for you folks saying you keep up with stuff that bigger/etc keep some things in mind; first, the bigger rigs aren't just trying to find the right line to get through the trail like you smaller rigs. we are screwing around because we're bored.
second, half the guys that 'kept' up to me on teh last run we did for stockers didn't realize i ran the trail in 2wd.

3rd; and take this one with a grain of salt........ if you're just running a BB and 31s and I want to go wheeling i will have no problem running easier trails that i already know your jeep will make it on with little problem. there are also a lot of tougher trails I know I can do but you can't; and frankly, i don't want to spend hours getting your bone stock piece of crap through those spots just so you can come on web forums and say 'i kept up with the big rigs and only got stuck 5 times and had to be on the end of their winch for 4 hours'. using my winch, my rig, my recovery gear and most important; my time that could be used wheelin'

so yea, keep on wheelin'! but keep this in mind
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
lol @ whiteout!!!

and for you folks saying you keep up with stuff that bigger/etc keep some things in mind; first, the bigger rigs aren't just trying to find the right line to get through the trail like you smaller rigs. we are screwing around because we're bored.
second, half the guys that 'kept' up to me on teh last run we did for stockers didn't realize i ran the trail in 2wd.

3rd; and take this one with a grain of salt........ if you're just running a BB and 31s and I want to go wheeling i will have no problem running easier trails that i already know your jeep will make it on with little problem. there are also a lot of tougher trails I know I can do but you can't; and frankly, i don't want to spend hours getting your bone stock piece of crap through those spots just so you can come on web forums and say 'i kept up with the big rigs and only got stuck 5 times and had to be on the end of their winch for 4 hours'. using my winch, my rig, my recovery gear and most important; my time that could be used wheelin'

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

sorry Polka, no offence!

well is it any different then when i, with my lifted ZJ on 33s with lunchbox lockers front and rear, go out with my buddies on 42s who have buggies?

we all go wheel to have fun, but they are screwing around on a trail i can barely get through.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
sorry Polka, no offence!

well is it any different then when i, with my lifted ZJ on 33s with lunchbox lockers front and rear, go out with my buddies on 42s who have buggies?

we all go wheel to have fun, but they are screwing around on a trail i can barely get through.
No It's the truth. I was laughing because it was funny! Truth is is that I need another ZJ that I can beat on. I can't bring myself to thrash this 5.9 because it's in such good shape. My old 95 was at 4.5 with 33's and I broke that poor thing all the time. There was stuff living it it by the time I sold it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
lol @ whiteout!!!

Don't worry, if I get the ZJ stuck I won't call you.........

I'll call my wife and tell 'er to bring me my Ford to drag it out
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

When that gets stuck call up a real truck to pull both out(CHEVY)! Lmao sorry just had to...
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Anyone that psots up saying that their BB'd ZJ kept up with, and did better than, a whatever on 35s/37s should be required to show pictures of said trail and said line that they did better than the other Jeep.
pics can be provided. but my BB'd ZJ is not your average BB'd ZJ. it gets driven like a rock bouncer. what it lacks in capability, it makes up for in skinny pedal

Quote:
I still think a locked stock height ZJ on 30's with skids would out wheel a BB ZJ open with 31's with skids.
no doubt. lockers will get you farther down the trail for sure. but lockers should come later IMO. it will suprise you where the right driver can take a BB'd rig with open diffs.

Quote:
lol @ whiteout!!!

X2. there is an entire off road park near where i am that used to be fun and challenging in my BB'd ZJ. now, in my blazer on 39's and tons, there is nothing there that poses a challenge. do i still go? yes, but it is purely playing.

when i wheel with less capable rigs, i run stuff i have confidence they can do, and usually poses little challenge to me. follow me on some higher rated trails and then say you kept up.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
no doubt. lockers will get you farther down the trail for sure. but lockers should come later IMO. it will suprise you where the right driver can take a BB'd rig with open diffs.
FYI, Due to mucho winter driving lockers are off the table, most I'm talking about is TrueTrac LSD.

Other than that I got the curious up and the fuzzy math kicked in shortly after. Decided to do a power to weight conversion to "guess" how the GC w/31's would stack up against the weak 5.0L F150 I also have (BTW, it's the truck mentioned above that won't hold OD into head wind and/or grades).

4.0L GC = approx 3800 lbs = 20.5 lbs per HP, 17.3 lbs per ft/lb.
5.0 F150 = approx 5200 lbs = 26.1 lbs per HP, 19.26 lbs per ft/lb.

Now toss in that the F150 is running 3.31's and the GC has 3.55's and the GC should be light years better on 31's than the F150....... ON PAPER. Of coarse I never got into wind, tranny gearing, axle weight, etc so take it all for what it's worth.

But it does make me feel better about 31's on a 4.0 GC. Or maybe it makes me feel worse about the F150

(BTW, P-metric equivelent of 31's came factory on the F150 so it's not like Ford didn't know)
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny

FYI, Due to mucho winter driving lockers are off the table, most I'm talking about is TrueTrac LSD.

Other than that I got the curious up and the fuzzy math kicked in shortly after. Decided to do a power to weight conversion to "guess" how the GC w/31's would stack up against the weak 5.0L F150 I also have (BTW, it's the truck mentioned above that won't hold OD into head wind and/or grades).

Now toss in that the F150 is running 3.31's and the GC has 3.55's and the GC should be light years better on 31's than the F150....... ON PAPER. Of coarse I never got into wind, tranny gearing, axle weight, etc so take it all for what it's worth.

But it does make me feel better about 31's on a 4.0 GC. Or maybe it makes me feel worse about the F150

(BTW, P-metric equivelent of 31's came factory on the F150 so it's not like Ford didn't know)
My buddy drives an xj with truetracs front and rear, and it does really really well in the snow. Obviously a true locker is more desirable for offroading, but his xj can absolutely so places where a lot of open or fActory LSD equipped jeeps on much larger tires have trouble.

I'm considering a truetrac for my 8.8 swap since it snows a fair enough amount here in Idaho for a couple month each year.
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

Just my .02 but when I first got my jeep 9 years ago, me and a buddy put a 2" BB on it the day I had 31" tires put on it. We two idiots went straight to Tellico and rode back and forth on trails 3 and 5. In the rain. With no map. The jeep went everyone and we had the time of our lives!

Mine has 3.73 gears btw. Just fyi.
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post

that is what i am getting at. 31's and 3.55's are not all that bad.

heck, my old 92 GMC i had came with factory 32's (265/75-16) and 3.42 gears and a whopping 210 HP.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
zjrog
1995 ZJ 

30s, stock Upcountry suspension. Rolled better than on on 235s. MPGs dropped 1 solid MPG jumping to the 30s. But no significant difference on the street or highway. Oh, 4.0, 3.73s...

This is right after I did the 2"BB over the Upcountry factory lift. So, lets say 3" over stock. On 31s. Lost 2 MPG on average. Didn't feel as "strong" when passing on 2 lane roads...

Same as above, forgot to disco the front swaybar. Homemade discos...

Back on 30s, MPGs back, and seat of the pants power is back. Although, the Falken Rocky Mountain ATs are HORRIBLE in the snow. I got stuck in my own driveway...

STOCK, on 235s, this went more places than I expected. But I wanted a little more height. I needed to keep the ZJ as my DD, as I carpooled with others. So, the 2" BB over stock was perfect. Jumping from 235s to 30 before the BB install, I lost 1 MPG on average. After the BB and jumping to 31s and I lost another 2 MPG. Switching back to 30s gave me the 2 MPG back, and I feel like I have the power back I lost with the 31s on the highway.

Funny thing, I'm considering a spacer lift like the Subaru guys do, on my 2003 Neon.
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #29
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

So when I mount the new OME 2" lifted springs and 31" tires, I can expect to lose 2-3 mpg? So, from crap mileage to SERIOUS crap mileage? I only get about 12-14 mpg now on 235/75-15's, I can't imagine it getting much worse. Its a 93 5.2 w/ 3.73's.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #30
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
So when I mount the new OME 2" lifted springs and 31" tires, I can expect to lose 2-3 mpg? So, from crap mileage to SERIOUS crap mileage? I only get about 12-14 mpg now on 235/75-15's, I can't imagine it getting much worse. Its a 93 5.2 w/ 3.73's.
depends on how you drive i guess.

i still get 16 MPG every day driving in mine, adjusted for the larger tires. on the highway, i regularly pull 19 MPG in it with the 31's. i don't baby it but i am not overly hard on it either. and the highway is at about 75 MPH.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.