2-3 delay after shift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2-3 delay after shift kit

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

2-3 delay after shift kit

Hey guys, after recently getting my tranny rebuilt and had a trans-go Street-smart shift kit put in, it has not been wanting to shift to 3rd with more than 1/4 or 1/3rd throttle, just keeps going til I let off. Also, manually shifting from 3rd to 2nd is the still the same as it was when stock, but 2nd to 1st manual shift is instant.

Could the shift kit have been installed incorrectly? I heard that there's a steel orifice cup plug that should be left out from these kits as they're intended for the 727's ( I have a 44RE).

I played with the TV cable and it didn't help very much, pulled it out pretty far, scared to go too much more though as it might be hard on the tranny. All other shifts are quick and firm like a shift kit should be.

Thanks for any input!

Unread 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Set your TV cable per the correct procedure and leave it alone unless you have a trans pressure gauge to watch what's going on.

Normally, shift kits will cause the tranny to hold gears longer for performance/towing reasons.

good luck with the truck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

K, I'll see if I can find the correct adjustment specs, anybody know them off hand by any chance?
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

In a 98 yv cable I is referenced against drivability. Unlike the 95 that should have the old style that had a proper neutral set point.

Set the tv cable as the shift kit asks for. I'd personally take it back to the shop so they can get it right like they should have.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

So the TV cable is definitely not the culprit, played with it more and it only likes a certain position to shift nice without delays or downshifting too soon but I still have the 2-3 upshift problem which I think might be sensor related now. It's going back to tranny shop Monday so they can fix it under warranty. I was just hoping it was a simple tv tweak, oh well.

Wonder what else could cause this? Tranny shop swore up and down that they adjusted bands properly and shift kit was definitely dome right. Sucks that I have to drive it 50miles once
again to get service.
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Dumb question, but you did verify fluid level? Sure it's not over heating or something simple like that?

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
...Tranny shop swore up and down that they adjusted bands properly and shift kit was definitely dome right...
Yea, they'll claim that all day long but then, why is it shifting wierd? I have a shift kit and mine hits the same shift points as stock (except for WOT). All my shifts are crisp and clean. They definitely caused an issue.
If I had to do it over again I'd order a valvebody from Martin saine and just slap it in.
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Fluid level is spot on, yeah I should have gone with Martin too, hindsight is 20-20. His valvebodies are awesome apparently and he gets rid of the 3rd gear bog under WOT.

I have an appointment for Tuesday for them to figure it out, called them the other day and they said it's probably a sensor....governer pressure sensor maybe?

Don't they replace all the sensors with new ones when doing a rebuild?
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Normally rebuilt results in any obviously worn out parts being replaced, remanufactured is where they replace every wear part.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.