2-1/2" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2-1/2" lift

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
Bilal

2-1/2" lift

I'm putting a 2-1/2" lift on my jeep from kevinsoffroad.com. It's a 94 Laredo. Do i need anything else besides the spacers and bump stops? What do i need to install it?

Last edited by Bilal; 09-09-2004 at 03:34 PM..
Bilal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
KillerZJ

You may want shocks, but all you need is hand tools.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Bilal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZJ
You may want shocks, but all you need is hand tools.
I heard I need a spring compressor. true or false?

and what do bumpstops do? Do I need them?
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
KillerZJ

hell no you wont need spring compressor. I put on 3" springs and 1.75" spacers without compressors. You dont need bumpstops. Do you wheel hard? I'm assuming you will get 31's?

Unread 09-09-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Bilal

Quote:
hell no you wont need spring compressor. I put on 3" springs and 1.75" spacers without compressors. You dont need bumpstops. Do you wheel hard? I'm assuming you will get 31's?
nah, i dont wheel at all. i busted up a s10 blazer a few years back so none of that for me. but i still like the look. but what exactly do bumpstops do?
Unread 09-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
KillerZJ

stop up-travel. dont get them.

Unread 09-10-2004, 04:40 AM   #7
shadetree

bilal,

i just installed kevins 2.125 budget boost and here are some tips for you. to the rest of you sorry but i disagree with you input.

reccomended tools for installing lift kit:
1. tall and wide base jack stands
2. spring compressors (outside ones for struts) you can pick these up at pep boys. basically you pay full price and then get a full refund upon return. (tell them before purchasing that this is a rental)
3. a breaker bar (optional, i didn't have one)
4. liquid wrench or pb blaster (penetrant) this is a must. spray all bolts/nuts once or twice prior to even turning a wrench.
5. a 2.5-5 ton floor jack is needed also.

our jeeps have metric and standard bolts so keeping that in mind you should have in your garage already an assortment of each in sockets and open ended wrenches.

some pointers from me to you.
1. only do one side at a time.
2. remember even when using spring compressors it will be tight getting your springs back in with the added 2" . i didn't disconnect my lower control arms but i did have to push down on the axle.
3. shocks disconnected from the lower end also.
4. your front end should have the bump stops, i bought the acos system and they have bump stops built in.
5. when i started to put my acos in i realized through trial and error that the soft oem stopper is crimped in from the top side of it. what i had to do is wedge a screwdriver in and wedge it out then you can get to the bolt that will allow you to take your oem bump stop out. once you do this there is no going stock again!
6. on the back i didn't use the bump stops because i would have had to cut my oem ones off of the frame in order to bolt up the new ones with the longer bolts provided. (which would have been easy if i had a sazall) i now own one after the fact!
7. i do reccomend getting the rear spring retainers.
8. when istalling these *don't use rtv!! it don't hold them in! instead slide it in and mark a spot for you to drill a hole for a sheet metal screw that will go through the existing metal. when you do drill this hole ensure that you countersink the edge with a larger drill bit so your screw head won't stick out and rip up your 2" spacer.
9. i do reccomend you also replace your oem steering stabilizer. i bought "old man emu" the install was very easy. you will need a tie rod end puller (again go to pep boys) "don't rest your head underneath when popping it loose either"
10. the new steering stabilizer whatever brand you buy will usually only fit one way. i found out by switching it around till i realized the amount of space inbetween your bushings and the mount. at first i was looking at the box it came in, i was back on the net looking at readers rides but none were clear.
11. (this was an edit) on the front i also disconnected the brake line bracket while i was down there disconnecting the lower end of my shocks. NOTE: don't break the integrity of your brake lines or you will need to bleed them afterwards.

well this is long enough if you have questions during install then pm me or email me cotys513@yahoo.com
or
(928) 317-2877 ask for scott and let me know who you are ie.. so and so from jeepforum.

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #8
KillerZJ

Oh get real. You dont need bumpstops or rear spring retainers. He isn't wheeling it. And for the jacks/stands, that was pretty much a known fact for bilal I hope. I did my lift with socket set and sockets. Thats all. No wrenches or air tools or anything.

Unread 09-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
shadetree

Quote:
Oh get real. You dont need bumpstops or rear spring retainers. He isn't wheeling it. And for the jacks/stands, that was pretty much a known fact for bilal I hope. I did my lift with socket set and sockets. Thats all. No wrenches or air tools or anything.
killerZJ,
first off i would like to compliment you on your jeep. it looks good.

however i have no idea who bilal is! i did searches on here prior to doing my lift and i still had those tips written down. maybe you should come up with a scale to compare your mechanical skills with everyone else's. once you do come up with some sort of universal scale to measure mechanical ability and we use "your ability" as a grading curve then everyone can guage their own ability and either get a reality check on what they know or everyone will get a boost in confidence. (IF) you do all of this then maybe i'll "get real"

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

As for spring compressors, you dont NEED them, but they make it a LOT easier. Its not like they cost you anything, if you dont have a pep boys, stop by a napa auto parts, they also rent spring compessors, you pay $75, then get a full refund when you bring 'them back.

Its true you dont need new bumpstops, especialy if you arent replacing the shocks. if you replace the shocks, then bumpstops are a good idea.

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.