1999 Limited Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Limited Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

1999 Limited Issues

I am goin to buy a 99 limited tomorrow. A heads up on any issues I need to look out for would be great!

thanks

sethfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since your in North Carolina im assuming no rust?

Check for transmission slippage, 4WD works. Basic stuff.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
nick62087
1999 WJ 

I have a 99, most of the issues i have could probably be attributed to first model year type of stuff - some other issues may be due to neglect.

-My front driveshaft is the CV type, it was noisy as hell (newer models have u joints)
-When i leave the headlights in auto they flash on and off whenever they want to when the car is parked w/ teh key off (i hear they revised the switch in later model years)
-Heated seats work when they want to (there were a few recalls i think)
-Lights in overhead console dont work, lenses rattle when i drive
-My auto climate control works fine, but i hear many people have issues
-Power steering leaks

Theres probably more but i cant think of them. Id say just use common sense and make sure the thing is solid.
Good luck
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
vtgrand

as befumo says make sure the tranny is in smooth working order. my sisters ended up needing some sensors, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd
vtgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
01Limited45324
2001 WJ 

Heated seats were a problem (mine, for example, don't work) in a LOT of WJs. Since it's a Limited, check the A/C and Heat, and see if you have the dreaded Blend Door problem.

Other than that, the usual (4WD, Tranny, etc.).

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 BMW 530i
01Limited45324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

A member since 2006 and he's just now buying a 1999 WJ and visiting. Committed to the purchase already and then looking for advice....

Search! ....my NC state brethren.

Hell...look at my sig and you have half the story on the WJ.

Go back through 5 pages of posts and also wjjeeps.com and you're all set.

Welcome to the good WJ life and the chaos.

Pics please
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

haha..i actually had a TJ at first...sold it and got a 2004 WJ...that is for sales by the way...and just picked this 99 up today...ill try and get pics asap...work sucks...
sethfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Chatham036
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgrand View Post
as befumo says make sure the tranny is in smooth working order. my sisters ended up needing some sensors, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd
master govener sensor. it is a cheap fix at least
1997 zj / K&N Cold Air Intake / 2"1/2 bb lift / AirAid Throttle body Spacer / 31x10.5x15 / Edge Throttle Body / Adj. Front/Rear T bars / Edge Chip / Gibson Header / HiFlow Cat / Custom bent exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler / Optima Yellow Top

[QUOTE=ef1992;7345160]The wheels REALLY can give you more hp???
[/QUOTE]
Chatham036 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.