1999 Grand Cherokee - ABS light won't go off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 Grand Cherokee - ABS light won't go off

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
plastic55

1999 Grand Cherokee - ABS light won't go off

I own a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited. The ABS light will not shut off and I do not get an error code when I turn the key back and forth a couple of times. The odometer reads "Done" signifying there are no problems.

Any suggestions?

plastic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

ABS computer is seperate.. right?

Check for dirt around the sensors at your axles. I think you should find them just inboard of the rotors.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

It's a long shot, but check the ABS fuse too.
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

pull the bulb and be done with it, as long as your jeep is shifting right and the speedo works, kill the bulb and be happy
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury View Post
pull the bulb and be done with it, as long as your jeep is shifting right and the speedo works, kill the bulb and be happy
some people WANT ABS....

My GTI has so much braking power even during a panic stop I have yet to get the ABS to kick in. Jus to make sure it worked I put the pedal to the floor going 70...
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
some people WANT ABS....

My GTI has so much braking power even during a panic stop I have yet to get the ABS to kick in. Jus to make sure it worked I put the pedal to the floor going 70...
Thats all TIRES and weak braking power, Blaine. If you had sooo much braking power, you would lock up easily...

WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
indept
2000 WJ 

I had the same thing last August with my 2000 WJ. I went to the dealer & paid 45.00 to get the codes since you can only read them with the DRBIII or equivalent. A standard OBDII reader or the key method doesn't work for ABS. They said it was left front & right rear sensor and the abs motor was bad too. I went home & measured the sensors with an ohmmeter but I found you can't check these sensors that way, so then I disconnected the pos battery terminal then disconnected the connector from the ABS computer, made sure there were no recessed pins or broken wires, reconnected it, reconnected the battery. The light was out and the ABS has worked fine since then.
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
Thats all TIRES and weak braking power, Blaine. If you had sooo much braking power, you would lock up easily...

Its a combination. Think about why racecars have 6-piston calipers. The stickyer the tires the more force your brakes can use.
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

The key trick and ODBII scanner only work for the CEL/MIL. the ABS codes require a special $5000+ machine to read the codes.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.