1999 4.0 cranks no start no codes no spark? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1999 4.0 cranks no start no codes no spark?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
relentlessmx

1999 4.0 cranks no start no codes no spark?

This is my dad's 1999 ZJ with a 4.0. Ran perfectly yesterday, when he parked it in the garage.
Today it cranks & cranks, but doesn't fire.
There is no check engine light on.
I scanned it (think I did it right, virgin scanner) no codes.
I pulled off the spark plug rail & checked for spark at two of the boots, nothing.

Even though my dad knows nothing about cars, he's pretty sure I'm an idiot. That would make this so gratifying to fix...

I'm thinking Crank Position Sensor, any thoughts?
Is there a way to test the CPS prior to swapping it?

relentlessmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Probably a CPS, at least that would be my guess. If it's a 99, it's called a WJ, not ZJ; just FYI.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

also might want to try the ignition coil, had mine go bad and it did the same thing, cranked but wouldnt fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
relentlessmx

Is there a way to test Crank position sensors, cam position sensors, and coil packs prior to replacing stuff randomly?
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Yes there are resistance tests in the FSM. I don't have any info for a WJ (anyone else), but if you google it, they're out there... I understand the CPS usually gives some warning before failing though. Has this truck been getting harder and harder to start, particularly when warm?

It's really unlikely all 6 coils would fail at once, so you're looking for something in common for all of them. Check all the fuses and relays (does the WJ have an ASD?) are free of corrosion on their legs, confirm the alarm is off, make sure there's voltage at the wires TO the coil pack, etc...

Good luck!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
relentlessmx

All fixed... Was the crank position sensor. I had to remove the shift linkage for the trans and use a 18" extension to get at the bolt, took about 2 hours to get 1 bolt out SWEET design!
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessmx View Post
All fixed... Was the crank position sensor. I had to remove the shift linkage for the trans and use a 18" extension to get at the bolt, took about 2 hours to get 1 bolt out SWEET design!
Gotta love Jeep.
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ever work on a Toyota? Try removing the intake manifold to get the fuel filter, which should be changed a lot more often than a CPS!!

Try removing the cross member under the tranny next time. If you lower the tranny a bit, the extra room makes the CPS more accessible.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.