1998 ZJ stalls with no dash lights, radio, windows - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 ZJ stalls with no dash lights, radio, windows

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
tbayne

1998 ZJ stalls with no dash lights, radio, windows

I have a 1998 YJ (amongst other jeeps) this one I loaned to my dad while his ZJ was in the shop for new tires. He said that he started it cracked all four windows, then the radio and dash lights went out, and it died while rolling down the road. Tried to restart and it cranks but not fire. NONE of the dash lights work, nor the radio, nor the windows! My local shop wont touch it, for some reason? They thought it was the ignition lock cylinder was worn out. Does that sound right? I already owe these local jackwagons 120.00 for them to tell me they will not work on it..AT ALL!

tbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hard to tell over the web but things that will kill a ZJ are crank position sensor, cam shaft position sensor, bad computer, check for blown fuses in the PDC under the hood, and inside the passenger door kick panel. I wouldn't take it back to those guys. Is it a 4.0 or 5.2?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
tbayne

It is a 4.0...
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Also check the wiring on the upsream o2 sensor. I seem to recall reading that if it shorts out there that it can fry the computer.
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
tbayne

Checked fuses...all good! Would crank sensor or cam shaft sensor kill the accessories? (dash lights, radio, window operation) The crank position sensor on the bell housing? And the Cam Shaft Position Sensor under the distributor plate? EEEK @ bad computer! This could be bad...
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Not entirely sure about that. Another thing to check is the battery and grounds. The cam sensor is easy to swap out. The crank sensor is a pita.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The crank sensor wont knock out the accessories, just the power train.

My money is on a bad battery cable or connection. I've seen very few of these type problems solved with an ignition switch
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
tbayne

Why would the jeep crank over like there is no tomorrow if it had a bad battery cable or connection? I think that a bad battery/connection would limit the ability for the starter to engage!? Turns over great, starter kicks in great! Turns for 10 seconds, sputters a little, then continues to crank over with no fire. I turn the key off, then on. Again no dash light, radio, or power windows, BUT it cranks right over with no problems for about 10 to 15 seconds, sputters a little like it wants to start, but nothing! Checked all fuses they're good, replaced crank sensor and cam sensor. Still same scenario.

She is about to go down in a blaze of glory!!!
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How about the security cut off? Do you think it may be shutting it down? When My battery got really low the security triggered and it would crank and run really rough but I had to hold the pedal down to keep it going. If I let off it would shut down.
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

There are two main cables off the B+, one to starter and the other to the alternator, with a secondary circuit to the PDC. There are also two ground cables.

Look here ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...23/?highlight=
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

I read somewhere on here that the crank sensor wiring controls the dash/gauges and the fuel pump as well
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
I read somewhere on here that the crank sensor wiring controls the dash/gauges and the fuel pump as well
Engine speed and crankshaft position are provided through the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor generates pulses that are the input sent to the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM interprets the sensor input to determine the crankshaft position. The PCM then uses this position, along with other inputs, to determine injector sequence and ignition timing.

the cranksensor can short across the sensor supply voltage from the PCM and cause reverse biasing of the circuits inside the PCM, which may cause failure of gauges and fuel pump.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Humor us and re-check the fuses under the hood. Let's get that out of the way and settled, ok ? Use an ohmmeter on the ( 10 amp? ASD fuse) It turns over...right? That's the first place I'd look. Take that fuse out and check it.

Next would be to swap the horn relay with the asd relay ( under the hood)....assuming your horn works.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
tbayne

OK...I will re-check fuses and switch relays to make sure the ASD relay is good, then get back to you!
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
tbayne

ASD relay is good! Come to find out ...my battery had a shorted plate in it...NEVER have I heard of that! My neighbor walks over and say "whatcha doin?" I said checking this and that, and that and this, yadda yadda! I showed him the problems I was having. Battery TESTED GOOD, sitting AND UNDER LOAD! BUT when I tried to roll the power windows down, the battery guage DUMPED, the truck stumbled and DIED! He says "junk battery"! I pulled my tester out and it said 12.8, started it up tester read 14.3! While idleing I tried again to roll the window down. Guage DUMPED, idle stumbled and DIED AGAIN! This time when I rolled the key back on, nothing! No dash lights, no radio , and no windows! I took the battery out, took it to O'Reilly's had it checked out. They said this is a GOOD battery! Went back home put it back in, started right up! Pushed the rear window button down, guage dumped, truck died! I just bought a new battery, put it in last night and no problems so far! We'll see...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.