1998 ZJ ..Lift..? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 ZJ ..Lift..?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's your *good* options.
2" bb (2.25" bb is highest anyone on here will recommend, well 99%) with new shocks, and all other goodies
New coils and shocks and other goodies for 1-2" lift (OME and bilsteins, pm kolak and he'll set you up with everything you need)
Package version of above such as RE or IRO for 3.5 or 4.5" lift (again pm kolak and he can set you up or order it yourself, up to you)

Did I miss anything Polka?

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
srieger
1995 ZJ 

Out of personal experience: i ran a 2" spacer lift with procomp es1000 shocks for roughly 2 months. Biggest waste of my money so far, jeep related lol. The ride was terrible. Very stiff and harsh. Every bump was magnified and everything literally just rattled lol. Not to mention one of the procomp shocks blew after not even 2 months, but to be fair i bought their bottom line shock. I upgraded to iro's benchmark kit and suddenly i was driving a Cadillac compared to my ride before. Its much smoother and going over the same road bumps its simply just coasts over. I also sprung the extra cash for the dt8000's and LOVE them. They are beefy as heck and soften the ride perfectly. In my opinion scratch the 2" idea if yoir not on a budget. As far as RC is concerned, i cant speak on their products since i listened to everyones warnings and stayed away. Granted there are people who like them, but a quick search turns up many more who dont. I wouldnt trade my iro lift for the world. Im 110% satisfied with it, so much so im buying iro's control arms. Thats just my two cents on this topic. I dont regret my 2" puck choice because it taught me that ied never do it again lol. Full spring suspensions lifts are by far the way to go if your looking for ride quality both on and off road, matched with a nice shock atleast.
srieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srieger View Post
Out of personal experience: i ran a 2" spacer lift with procomp es1000 shocks for roughly 2 months. Biggest waste of my money so far, jeep related lol. The ride was terrible. Very stiff and harsh. Every bump was magnified and everything literally just rattled lol. Not to mention one of the procomp shocks blew after not even 2 months, but to be fair i bought their bottom line shock. I upgraded to iro's benchmark kit and suddenly i was driving a Cadillac compared to my ride before. Its much smoother and going over the same road bumps its simply just coasts over. I also sprung the extra cash for the dt8000's and LOVE them. They are beefy as heck and soften the ride perfectly. In my opinion scratch the 2" idea if yoir not on a budget. As far as RC is concerned, i cant speak on their products since i listened to everyones warnings and stayed away. Granted there are people who like them, but a quick search turns up many more who dont. I wouldnt trade my iro lift for the world. Im 110% satisfied with it, so much so im buying iro's control arms. Thats just my two cents on this topic. I dont regret my 2" puck choice because it taught me that ied never do it again lol. Full spring suspensions lifts are by far the way to go if your looking for ride quality both on and off road, matched with a nice shock atleast.
I think what you learned was not to buy crappy shocks. A 2" spacer will not turn your ZJ into a harsh riding rattle bucket. There are probably plenty of worn out bushings on your stock parts to boot.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #19
srieger
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I think what you learned was not to buy crappy shocks. A 2" spacer will not turn your ZJ into a harsh riding rattle bucket. There are probably plenty of worn out bushings on your stock parts to boot.
Your absolutely right, the shocks werent the best quality. But even with cheaper aftermarket shocks, i felt the quality to be worse than the stock ride and my stock shocks were in there for only got knows how long, the PO didnt give off that "ive done good maintenancepractices" vibes lol.
srieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have had a 4.5" front to rear swap which later turned into a proper lift with RE parts and this one has a 2" spacer lift. I can tell you that it rides much nicer with only the 2" lift. I have all new bushings in the control arms with a fat ADDCO front sway bar and Bilstein shocks. The only way I could improve it is with some OME coils.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

So, what's the intended usage of the ZJ once it becomes a toy?

Camping/Fishing/Hunting rig, rockcrawler/mud rig?
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
AHHHH now we find you that you haven't even discoed the front sway bar yet hahaha I guess that is not a fair way to judge the BB vs The RC lift then.
I said that in my post. One of the reasons I hardly post here... because people don't read before responding and gang up on anyone with a dissenting opinion,.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Mat. You could start a new trend of reading, deciphering and trying to help the newbs from themselves.

Coils are better than spacers, pay for quality parts...

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
WOOHOO

Ok...I check out ome it is coils that comes with spacers..etc shocks..??? So is that no good..? Primary use is going to be camping, spotting, most of its off road will be flat as a pancake.

Yeah...im going to pull the trigger soon and just get it going. Hopefully make the right choice...thanks for the help so far.
WOOHOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOHOO View Post
Ok...I check out ome it is coils that comes with spacers..etc shocks..??? So is that no good..? Primary use is going to be camping, spotting, most of its off road will be flat as a pancake.

Yeah...im going to pull the trigger soon and just get it going. Hopefully make the right choice...thanks for the help so far.
Much of that made no sense so I don't know what you were asking but I can tell you that a 2" BB with quality shocks got me to the places I was interested in out in Vegas. A lot more than just flat roads.

It will ride nice as long as your stock control arm bushings are in good shape. You can expect to lift a vehicle and have it ride nice with 15 year old worn out parts on it. You need to replace all of that stuff too.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
WOOHOO

Polka read back and someone asks me primary use of vehicle. Then someone talks about no spacers and just springs. But ome has a spring and spacer for lift. Then basically im just going to say f it and buy something. If it breaks or falls apart ill start over. Lots of help and look forward to posting.
WOOHOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOHOO View Post
Polka read back and someone asks me primary use of vehicle. Then someone talks about no spacers and just springs. But ome has a spring and spacer for lift. Then basically im just going to say f it and buy something. If it breaks or falls apart ill start over. Lots of help and look forward to posting.
The OME springs are a good choice.
Get the BB pucks if you don't want to spend the money.

My point is is that nothing will make it ride nice if the stock parts are worn out. Those need to be in great shape to get the most out of the lift.
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

OME doesn't sell a spring and spacer. RRO sells an OME lift with spacers, but you need a bunch more stuff to run 4" or lift with no issues.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Please for the love of humanity do not buy anything from Rocky road outfitters.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

why not? i have had nothing but good luck from them.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.