1998 Zj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Zj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
BigRed93

1998 Zj

I just bought a 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L, with Selec-trac 4wd. I have plans on adding a lift and tires. Any suggestions? Im looking to spend a total of $1500, and keep the stock rims.

But I am having a little bit of a problem. I was doing some wheeling this weekend, and the 4wd crapped out. I start to go up a hill in any 4wd position, you feel it start to pull normally, then it disengages in the front, and you hear a grinding noise. I was told this could be a transfercase. Any ideas? Can i fix this myself? Or must I be raped by a dealer?

Mike

Unread 05-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
laphan

It may be as simple as shifter linkage adjustment. Mine was doing similar thing before (winter and I have no garage) and dealer charged me $15 to adjust the linkage. You can do it yourself too if you want.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.