1998 xj grand cherokee with quadratrac awd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 xj grand cherokee with quadratrac awd

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
chris russell

1998 xj grand cherokee with quadratrac awd

ok guy's if ya would save me a lot of searching tonight as i gotta go and look at this tommorow.

wife wants this grand cherokee as she likes the color,interior,v-8,etc and who am i to say no l.o.l. plus i can get it at a really good deal and it is in really good shape.

anyways with the quadratrac option what am i looking at as far as problems with dependability and problems with lifting this jeep?

i know there are better options out there but she wants something that she can just drive w/out having to shift into 4wd or anything when she has bad weather or getts out on the back roads,any help or suggestions as well as opinions will be considered and thanks in advance.

chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

The NP249 transfer case, all time 4x4, is an amazing transfer case. Only bad thing about it is the viscous coupler. They tend to go out around 130k miles, sometimes they'll last longer...or shorter. Its a $300 part. Most people just swap in a NP242 or NP231 case that has 2wd as an option. I love both of my NP249s though.

PS, its a ZJ. Not an XJ. XJs are Cherokees, ZJs are Grand Cherokees.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

The 249 is not a bad tcase, but I ended up switching mine for a 242 because I dont want the expense when the viscous coupler goes bad.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
chris russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
The NP249 transfer case, all time 4x4, is an amazing transfer case. Only bad thing about it is the viscous coupler. They tend to go out around 130k miles, sometimes they'll last longer...or shorter. Its a $300 part. Most people just swap in a NP242 or NP231 case that has 2wd as an option. I love both of my NP249s though.

PS, its a ZJ. Not an XJ. XJs are Cherokees, ZJs are Grand Cherokees.

yeah i saw the ooopppssss when i posted it l.o.l. i also have xj cherokee so it is natural to type that. thanks for the info.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris russell View Post

yeah i saw the ooopppssss when i posted it l.o.l. i also have xj cherokee so it is natural to type that. thanks for the info.
Ah I gotcha. No problem man.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
chris russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Ah I gotcha. No problem man.

what am i gonna need to watch out for in a suspension lift? any known problems issues? want to go around 4 inch with 31-10.50-15 tires.

i have already seen the c.v. joint issue on the front drive shaft but any other issues? prolly gonna be using a rough country lift as they have been good for me in the past and there customer service has always been top notch for me.

thanks again.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

249's are good Tcases until that VC goes. It also makes for a terrible drive on the road if you lock the front.

I have rc Long arms and like them. But their short arm kits Ive heard nothing but complaints. My buddy has an rc short arm kit and it rides like a ****ing lumber wagon. Check out IRO? Whatever the case, I would recommend adjustables. I would look into a good Track bar if one isnt provided with the kit. Get Ujoint drive shafts. Id get Ujoint axles myself too if possible. 31's are a good size tire. Thats what I run and I can keep up with everyone with their mondo sized tires.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.