1998 TSi Limited ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 TSi Limited ZJ

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Yeah so I've had this jeep for about a year and have only put like 10 miles on it. It is a 5.2L V8, It has 197k miles on it, I run it less than I should but it still runs strong when I do run it. I've killed a battery by letting it sit because I'm a lazy dog. I am going to get a new one with the warranty on Thursday. The reason it sits is that I don't have the money to register it. This is my first vehicle, bought it for $1000, put a new battery, tension pully, water pump, starter, front end bushings, and headlights. Still needs a steering pump, breaks, wipers, and there's a leak in the back and water keeps accumulating in the cargo area. I've removed all carpet from the entire jeep. Oh, I've also replaced the front driver side door because I screwed it up.

I've been looking for a job recently but nothing yet.

Has anyone else had the leak problem in the rear cargo area?

Area11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

wearherstrips bad, cargo door snubbers worn allowing misalignment, trash accumalation in hinge area, latches worn, to name a few things to check.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

I had this same problem with a ZJ I no longer own. I think it turned out to be the weather stripping. It would start raining in the cargo area after a wash. It was easily correctable without even having to buy new weather stripping.
MasterOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
wearherstrips bad, cargo door snubbers worn allowing misalignment, trash accumalation in hinge area, latches worn, to name a few things to check.
I'm going to clean up the hinge area. It's been a while since I've cleaned that one place and I'm not sure on how much leaves and twigs may be up there.

EDIT: Cleaned the hinge area and there was a lot of leaves. I'm going to get new weather strip all around and new snubbers cause all of that is looking pretty bad. The latch is fine though.

Last edited by Area11; 06-25-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Well I'm going job hunting tomorrow! My dad said he will put my jeep on the road(register, tag, insurance) as soon as I am hired somewhere. After that I will be doing all sorts of things to the jeep, mostly because they need to be done. I need breaks, alignment, weather strip all around, rear end bushings(if you have seen me post here before you may know that I already have done the front end), steering pump, lights all around (headlights already replaced), and I want to get wind guards all around on the windows to match the front passenger. I also need to do something about the headliner. I tore the fabric off cause it was all sagging. I'm thinking of getting it done in vinyl. I'm also going to get two bazookatube 10s,waterproof of course.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Area11
1998 ZJ 

Got a new battery for the jeep for free with the warranty. Also got a bunch of job applications.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.