1998 Tensioner Pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Tensioner Pulley

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
XxHighOnPsixX
1998 ZJ 

1998 Tensioner Pulley

My buddy and I went to replace the belt on my ZJ and we mistakenly took the tensioner off, we remounted the tensioner and it's now rubbing on the mount. The washer is currently on the outside of the pulley, but putting it on the inside doesn't space it. When we first took it off, the washer was on the outside. Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?

XxHighOnPsixX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

In addition to the washer under the bolt head, there is spacer that goes between the pulley and collar. Sounds like the spacer is missing,
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
XxHighOnPsixX
1998 ZJ 

I'm not sure which is which. I have the piece that goes through the pulley around the bolt. The one side of the washer/spacer is really thick though. I presume that's the washer, but we know what assuming gets us.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

see if this helps
pulley.jpg  
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
XxHighOnPsixX
1998 ZJ 

That helps tremendously. Another ZJ owner across the street doesn't have the bushing. Just the spacer on the other side. I guess I'll get in my engine and try to find it. Thank you!
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you can't find the tensioner pulley spacer at least ZeeJay gave you the Chrysler/Mopar OE part number (06503230) where you could pick one up at the dealer for probably less than 5 bucks.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
XxHighOnPsixX
1998 ZJ 

Right. But I climbed underneath with a flashlight and found it sitting on a part inside. Put it back today, and she runs like a charm. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.