1998 JGC stall/not starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 JGC stall/not starting issue

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

1998 JGC stall/not starting issue

Been going down the list, CPS is next. Just trying to narrow it down. It usually happens in warmer weather or when the engine is hotter. After replacing the TPS, complete tune-up, replacing MAP sensor, ignition coil and cleaning AIC it was working MUCH better. Didn't stall for a whole month. The weather has warmed up a bit and now it's BAD! Have heard some hints about vacuum lines and grounds but don't even know where to start. Any ideas? Recently had the fuel pump and relay replaced.

bravekate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Try the list in the green link below.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Try the list in the green link below.
Thank you!! Will be going down the list this weekend!
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravekate View Post
I've done a lot of the things on the 12-step list. Will be working on it again tomorrow. Mine is definitely worse when it's not as cold and when there is more humidity. Does that point to something in particular?
When the humidity is high it is easier for current to find a stray path to ground. When the ground path that is normally used by the current is weak, the humidity (water is a great conductor) will provide an easier path for the current, taking it into places it doesnt belong causing cross feeds across components.

So, if you havent cleaned your grounds yet, it probably should be next.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Bannerman53
1996 ZJ 

And check all the vacuum lines for leaks. My dad's 04 WJ was acting really badly (cutting out while braking, cut-out when idle etc.) and it turns out a vacuum line was completely disconnected.
Bannerman53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
So, if you havent cleaned your grounds yet, it probably should be next.

Excellent! Planned on doing it this past weekend but took longer than I thought to replace the shocks. Thanks!
BTW....been reading some of these threads for days and I gotta say, you guys crack me up! Thanks for that, too!
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannerman53 View Post
And check all the vacuum lines for leaks. My dad's 04 WJ was acting really badly (cutting out while braking, cut-out when idle etc.) and it turns out a vacuum line was completely disconnected.
Thanks Bannerman! That was also one of the top ones on the list!

Tags
not starting , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.