Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1998 JGC limited 5.9 dome lights and heater control lights problem

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
Hoping this is a common problem before I end up tearing up the dash and chasing an electrical problem.

The dome lights work when a door is opened however if you adjust the dimmer up to turn on the dome lights no luck. This is a minor annoyance but the dome lights are nice to turn on at night for the kids.

Also the back lighting on the heater controls are out. I pulled it out (what a pain in the...) and it appears that they are little wheat bulbs not the 194 I was expecting but they are not burnt out...

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
zoom248 said:
Hoping this is a common problem before I end up tearing up the dash and chasing an electrical problem.

The dome lights work when a door is opened however if you adjust the dimmer up to turn on the dome lights no luck. This is a minor annoyance but the dome lights are nice to turn on at night for the kids.

Also the back lighting on the heater controls are out. I pulled it out (what a pain in the...) and it appears that they are little wheat bulbs not the 194 I was expecting but they are not burnt out...

Any thoughts?
It sounds as if the two are connected. Do the dash lights dim when you move the dimmer. I was thinking mabe the problem is in the dimmer switch. Sounds like its not been a good week for the 5.9's on the forum. The dimmer switch would also dim the backlights for the heater. Also on the 5.9 they have a sensor on the dash that controls the backlites and adjusts them according to the light outside, I have seen them switch on mine as I am driving on rainy days. Hope it helps in some way.

#3 ·
jcooperdj said:
It sounds as if the two are connected. Do the dash lights dim when you move the dimmer. I was thinking mabe the problem is in the dimmer switch. Sounds like its not been a good week for the 5.9's on the forum. The dimmer switch would also dim the backlights for the heater. Also on the 5.9 they have a sensor on the dash that controls the backlites and adjusts them according to the light outside, I have seen them switch on mine as I am driving on rainy days. Hope it helps in some way.
When you punch the individual dome lights, do they come on?
If they work when the doors open, and they work when you push them, I can only think of two possible causes for the slider switch to not work...
1. The switch is bad.
2. You aren't sliding the switch all the way up until it clicks (sounds silly, but it could happen)

HTH :thumbsup:

#4 ·
wvd said:
When you punch the individual dome lights, do they come on?
If they work when the doors open, and they work when you push them, I can only think of two possible causes for the slider switch to not work...
1. The switch is bad.
2. You aren't sliding the switch all the way up until it clicks (sounds silly, but it could happen)

2. switch is bad... that is my gut but it was just replaced by the dealer by the previous owner about 6 months ago...

2. if only my life could be that easy

they work when the doors are opened... the ones you push to turn on (the map lights) also work.

Looks like it is time to pull out the multi-meter and start hunting. Thanks for all your help.

#5 ·
jcooperdj said:
I am not so sure I buy into this one as all the other backlighting such as the gauges, radio, shift console all light and dimm appropriately with thedimmer switch.

Tell me more about the sensor that controls the backlights??? I know there is a sensor that uses the ambiant light to turn on and off the auto headlights and and that the headlights also automatically come on when the windshield wipers are turned on(your rainy day theory?).

Thanks for your help

#6 ·
I just know that on my 5.9 I have seen the radio and backlights get brighter when the sky got light and I had my lights on so there is some sensor on the dash that tells it how bright the ambiant light is outside but god I would have NO idea how it works. Cars are tooo complicated anymore. Ive had my 5.9 for a year now and have had good luck so far. I will be watching to see how this turns out. Sorry I cant help more.

#7 ·
zoom248 said:
I am not so sure I buy into this one as all the other backlighting such as the gauges, radio, shift console all light and dimm appropriately with thedimmer switch.

Tell me more about the sensor that controls the backlights??? I know there is a sensor that uses the ambiant light to turn on and off the auto headlights and and that the headlights also automatically come on when the windshield wipers are turned on(your rainy day theory?).

Thanks for your help
Zoom,
If you look on top of your dash, almost directly in front of the driver, between the defroster outlets, there is a lozenge shaped, red lensed sensor. It's purpose is to auto dim (or brighten) the instrument panel illumination. When it is bright sun outside, the instrument panel lights will be nice and bright, when it is dark, they will be dimmer. When you drive down a tree lined road on a bright day, they will flicker off and on in a most annoying way.

The windshield wiper function is an option your Jeep dealer can set. You can have your headlights come on when you turn your wipers on, or not. A reasonably handy item when you live in a state that requires headlights on when wipers are in use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.