1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Transmision Problems **NEED HELP** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Transmision Problems **NEED HELP**

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
98HondaJeep
1998 ZJ 

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Transmision Problems **NEED HELP**

I own a 1998 Grand Cherokee with 147,000 that is currently not running due to what i believe is either transmission or transfer case problems. My old friend ran fantastic up until about two weeks ago when i sank it in mud up to the doors. The jeep was stuck in the mud for about an hour before we pulled it out. After we pulled it out i thought it was fine seeing as it wasent running as bad as i expected but then i got on the the road.
The car had alot of trouble getting out of first gear and i basically had to floor it to get it to shift. The check engine light came on on the drive home.. The next day i took it to auto zone to get the code read. The code read P1757 internal transmission failure which kinda killed me a little inside but anyways the guy at auto zone said id be fine if i reset the computer by resetting the battery and letting the car "dry out". So i did that and the check engine light came off and it ran a little better everyday. It was stuff running rough the next week so i decided to change the transmission fluid and filter. (NOTE* I was surprised at the condition of the old fluid it was pretty clean and dident have any smell to it. Also there were no shards of metal in the transmission pan. Not sure if thats relevant) About two weeks after i changed the transmission fluid i stopped to get gas and i when i put it in gear before leaving i heard a loud clunk. Then the problems began. On the drive home i began to loose power. the rpms would be redlined but the car wouldent shift. I was close to home driving up a hill and it just died out on me. I pulled to the side of the road and got it towed back to my house where it currently sits.
Alright theres the story, now heres what happens when i start it up and put it in gear. Ive tried every gear and none of them work. When the cars cold and i try to put it in gear it just makes a very loud wining noise. It did however work in 4 wheel drive. I drove it around the block but it was a very rough ride. It feels like only my front tires are pulling me. Alright it think thats everything. I just dont know if i should replace the transmission or transfer case or both. I just want to get my jeep back on the road as soon as possible! Please respond any input is greatly appreciated!

98HondaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
mudder53
1998 ZJ 

Take your diff cover off in back and check it out
mudder53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Did you flush your transfer case yet?

Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid and filter inside the transmission pan.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
98HondaJeep
1998 ZJ 

I honestly dont know what to do i think im just going to get a used transmission and install it myself. Im afraid im going to buy the sensors and its just going to be the transmission anyways.
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
98HondaJeep
1998 ZJ 

My transmission fluid is clean but it smells really burnt. Im just not sure if i burned up the transfer case or the transmission because i know they both use the same fluid right?
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Z95LimitedJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how do you flush a transfer case and where can i get the fluid for it? Also a differential drain and fluid?
Z95LimitedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Burnt smell = Bad.

ATF+4 in the transmission and transfer case.

Drop the pan on the tranny and pull the drain plug on the case. You will know the condition of both then.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
98HondaJeep
1998 ZJ 

Next week im going to drop the transmission pan and check it out ill letcha all know whats up. Like i said i dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter about a month ago and everything looked fine. Im expecting metal shards this time though. Im almost possitive its my transmission i just posted this to see if anyone else knew of anything it could be. Sensors pumps etc... Thanks agian
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
jpowers871
2002 WJ 

I think I am having the same problem with my 02' grand cherokee laredo. You said it works in 4 wheel drive, so if it shifts in 4 wheel I would say the problem is definitely in the transfer case or the rear end. Just got mine home today and it is grinding when i put it in gear with it in 2 wheel drive but seems to work fine in 4 low and high. My question now is how do you tell what model transfer case is in it?
jpowers871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if you have anything other than two drive selections, you have a 242.
if it works in 4wd high and low. you have a rear end problem.
either broken gears or broken axle shaft. either way you MUST pull the differential cover to investigate. that goes for both users.

hope the OP didn't buy a new transmission when it was working perfectly fine. and the trans and transfer case TAKE the same kind of fluid, but don't SHARE the same fluid reservoir. if it smelled burnt after the month of hard driving trying to push past whatever he ACTUALLY broke i'd say he smoked his torque converter running at stall speed all the time without moving.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
kfc33193
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I am a 20 year old female and I know NOTHING about vehicles except the basics to keep her running! But this time the issue is beyond me. I have a 98' Grand Cherokee Laredo with over 250k miles. Which means it is PROBABLY time for a whole new transmission. It runs good enough to get from A to B. But i have a 2 year old and can't handle breaking down and being stuck with no vehicle. It doesn't ALWAYS do this, but sometimes when I push on the gas it revs up alot on it's own. We've done all the transmission fluid draining and such, not much help. It really loves to rev up when I am going up a hill. I've had this issue in multiple vehicles and I really want my Jeep to last. I love it! I have no idea what KIND of transmission, or where to purchase them. So if anyone could help me out, any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks.
kfc33193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc33193 View Post
I am a 20 year old female and I know NOTHING about vehicles except the basics to keep her running! But this time the issue is beyond me. I have a 98' Grand Cherokee Laredo with over 250k miles. Which means it is PROBABLY time for a whole new transmission. It runs good enough to get from A to B. But i have a 2 year old and can't handle breaking down and being stuck with no vehicle. It doesn't ALWAYS do this, but sometimes when I push on the gas it revs up alot on it's own. We've done all the transmission fluid draining and such, not much help. It really loves to rev up when I am going up a hill. I've had this issue in multiple vehicles and I really want my Jeep to last. I love it! I have no idea what KIND of transmission, or where to purchase them. So if anyone could help me out, any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks.
Start your own thread and you will get many more replies. This is buried in a very old thread.

Title your new thread, "20 year old female needs transmission help!" and then watch the responses pour in.

Tags
1998 , jeep , mudding , problems , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.