1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo makes fast clicking noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo makes fast clicking noises

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
izzyk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo makes fast clicking noises

(Jeez, must they make it so hard to locate the 'Post new Thread' button? It should be a big button on the home page.)

Okay, I purchased a used 1998 Red Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in October of 2013. Loved it! I found out that it started having start up issues around early 2014 when it was still winter time. I will admittedly state that there were days I wouldn't start my car up and just let it sit in the driveway (my dad and brother tell me it's not good for it to sit up, esp. during the winter.) put in the key, and it wouldn't start. we ended up jumping it and within less than a minute it started up. I noticed it would not start up some times even when I didn't leave it idle. Just today I stuck the key in and turned it (the fob never really worked) and the lights on the inside lit up, which i've noticed that that means it'll start up. I stick my key into the ignition and try and the lights (faint as my eyes deceived me) turn off and I hear a very fast clicking noise and the faint lights seem to be synchronized with the sound. It's just clicking away and the car will not start up. :/

This is my first car and I am honestly discouraged. We've purchased a new battery from the Wal-Mart automotive department earlier this year and the car roared to life when we did. We even got new battery connector thingies because one looked crusty and old. I thought that my car would work and no longer need to be jumped just to start. It's getting really annoying as I find myself needing to get my license and wanting to make it in my jeep. I also would like to take myself to and from school, but i'm afraid i'll need to have it jumped all of the time just to go places, and that's not cool.)

THREAD QUESTION BEGINS HERE

Obviously i'm not the only one with my Jeep making fast clicking noises and not starting up as I used Google and I saw dozens of threads with a similar title to mine. I doubt it's the battery (it tested good. then again I could be wrong since I know nothing about cars) PLEASE HELP ME!!

P.S.: Sorry for the novel and sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place.

izzyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The clicking noise is the starter trying (and failing) to start due to low voltage.

Which means that something is draining your battery. Look around for threads on "parasitic drain" and get yourself a multimeter and do a drain test.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Also, a jeep in that condition can kill a battery so once you fix your problem you may still have to replace the battery.

As a stop gap, buy yourself one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DEC...BM3B/202710992 and plug your jeep in when you're at home. I did that for months with my niner before I fixed my parasitic drain problems.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

if the clicking is happening before you turn the key to "start", then you have a relay opening and closing because it's bad or the voltage is insufficient to hold it closed. Use your ear and finger and find out which relay is clicking, swap it with one with the same part number stamped on it. It will probably be in the PDC which is the fuse box under the hood. If you swap and have the same result, compare battery voltage to what is coming into that relay (with a meter). That will get you started, maybe you can fix your issue with just this.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Something that can kill the battery in 3-4 days is the "door ajar" warning switch in the tail gate. It's behind the closeout panel. You can get a new one or just unplug it. If you have a lift gate window that opens it will have a similar switch that can cause the same issue. It's easy to try it anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.