1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 09-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Pint

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

I'm going to inherit a pretty nice 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo next month. My mom is retiring and my parents have decided to go down to one vehicle. My son is turning 16 in February, so this is a "gift" to him. I will be driving it and working out any kinks it might have until then. It has 130K on the 6 cylinder engine. It has always been well maintained and will have a fresh tune-up, new battery and shocks when we get it. It will need tires soon, so I will be throwing on some 30-31" BFG AT/KO's. I am new to the Jeep world and am ready to learn! I like to do most of my own work, but have been a Landcruiser guy for years. If this "project" goes well, I may get a Jeep for myself to build into an long range expedition travel vehicle. This one will end up my son's daily driver and get he and his buddies to the mountains for winter snowboarding! Are there any major or common problem areas I need to look for?

Pint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

you will not be able to fit 31 inch tires without lifting the ZJ 2 inches. The stock tire sizes is 29 inch, and you might be ok with 30's.

The most common problem in ZJ's is the VC (viscous coupleing) dying. It is what that splits the power between the front and the rear axle. To check this drive around for a while then do tight figure 8's in a parking lot. If it takes a lot of gas or you have wheel hop the VC is bad. If it is most people just swap in a 242 TC.

Other than that drive it around and listen for anything that doesn't sound normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

You can fit 30s on stock suspension with minimal rubbing. And its nothing to be concerned about. 4.0s like to leak oil out the rear main and the valve cover. Sometimes it's hard to tell which one it is coming out of. I thought for a long time it was my rear main, now I'm convinced it is the valve cover.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Pint

Thanks for the info so far. Are the engines, trannies, etc pretty reliable? How hard are they to work on? Can I expect 200K plus out of the engine if proper maintenance is done?
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

I ran 31" Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts on stock suspension with the only rubbing coming from the right corner of the front bumper when turned and flexed a bit. And only the right side because i rear ended a corolla so it hangs down about 1/2". just my
MurdaJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint View Post
Thanks for the info so far. Are the engines, trannies, etc pretty reliable? How hard are they to work on? Can I expect 200K plus out of the engine if proper maintenance is done?
mine has 220k and the PO didn't maintain it. The old motor ended up making it to 219k with maybe once a year(15-20k) oil changes and the air filter was 6 years old.. I would say they are reliable. IMO the most reliable motor I have ever seen. Like anything If you take care of them they would last even longer.

Mine leaked so I put a rubber Valve cover gasket on it.
92rslt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Pint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rslt1 View Post
mine has 220k and the PO didn't maintain it. The old motor ended up making it to 219k with maybe once a year(15-20k) oil changes and the air filter was 6 years old.. I would say they are reliable. IMO the most reliable motor I have ever seen. Like anything If you take care of them they would last even longer.

Mine leaked so I put a rubber Valve cover gasket on it.
That's good news! This one has been well maintained, oil every 3K, service done by the book. I plan to switch all the fluids to Mobil 1, throw some 30" BFG's on it and roll! Might need an inexpensive stereo upgrade with Ipod integration as well.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
WXman
2001 WJ 

There are LOTS of 4.0L engines around here with 300-400 thousand miles on them. They are weak, slow, drink gas, and leak everywhere...but you can't kill them. They last forever. Sounds like you will have a solid Jeep to build up.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

If your going to get a new stereo, get new speakers too. May I recommend Infinity 652.9i. Amazon has them right now for less than $70 a pair.

Is that rubber valve cover gasket working well 92??

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Pint

Looks like the truck will be arriving this Friday! Looking forward to digging in a having some fun with this thing. A couple questions:

It has run standard dino oil for the first 130K. I have run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. Any problem switching at 130K? What weight are people running? Oil filter suggestions?

Also, is there a really cheap lift, maybe a spacer lift for a 98? Would like to pick up an inch or 2 is all. Sounds like maybe a BB kit for $200ish? Anything cheaper?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.