Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Issues

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  TroyB0806 
#1 ·
My jeep started having issues last week. The power seats went out, I checked the fuses and one of the relays under the dash was hot. I replaced it and now the radio, turn signals, flashers, power seats, and courtesy lights don't work. Checked all the fuses under the dash and in the power control center and all are ok. Got a used BCM module and installed-still no power to the other components. BCM is reading because the mileage of the prev Jeep is now showing. Had an issue about 3 yrs ago with the heater control switch not working and just ran a straight line to the fan motor and a manual switch. Seems like all the wiring leads back to the Power Control Center.

#2 ·
Sounds like you might have lost a ground. You'll be better off with a volt ,ohm meter and a factory service manual that has the wiring diagrams so you can start trouble shooting.Korea zj is the wiring wiz here. Did all the stuff go at once or did the seats go then the other stuff?

#7 ·
In general, CB3, is a circuit breaker that would power either the the power seat module (limited edition) or the regular (Laredo) power seats.
Which do you have?
Either way that circuit breaker shouldn't be hot. Something is is constantly drawing on that circuit. Are any of the switches broken?

Attachments

#10 ·
Passenger side static sound might be shorted wires or switch. Disconnect the passenger seat switch connector and see if the problem goes away, and everything else works. Then just need to isolate the short or bad component.

CB-3 circuit breaker resets itself once it cools.

#11 ·
The circuit breaker is self resetting (probably thermally controlled. That why you felt heat. You could have pushed the limits of the circuit by replacing the cb3 and caused a burn out in the main feed section to the JB that gives power to those other fuses.
Disconnect CB 3, find the open to the JB (connector #2 pin #2) or at the PDC and repair it. Then work on the problem in the pass. seat. don't hook up the breaker until you've fixed the situation.

You could also be looking for a shorted wire leading to the seat.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the assist, I will work on finding the short in the seats and check on the power connect to the PDC, Prob have to wait until Thursday, still drives fine-inspection due by Dec so have time to work on it. Don't go anywhere, may need more support.

#14 ·
1998 jeep grand cherokee ignition wiring diagram

Hi Everybody I am new here wondering if you can help me out I have a this vehicle and I have crank but no start I also have no spark on my spark plugs does anyone have this ignition wiring diagram so I can pinpoint were my problem is?

#15 ·
I have. 1998 Jeep Gran Cherokee. Sometimes the stereo face plate lights go off. Come back on awhile later. Heated seats don't work. The flashers haven't been working for long time. Turned it on today and flashers went off. Turned light switch off and that turbaned them off. All fuses are fine. The engine light came on for a couple days and then off. The ABS light stays on but the ABS works. A lot of little problems like this. Suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.