1998 Grand Cherokee drive shaft issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Grand Cherokee drive shaft issue

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Ghinjo

1998 Grand Cherokee drive shaft issue

I recently purchased a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it can not get the shaft to stop turning even after I take it out of four wheel drive. This makes a very loud sound...almost like when brake pads are rubbing...brakes are fine, but just best way I can describe the sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My limited research seems to point to a motor or a vacuum line the will engage the drive shaft, not sure which,is on the 98... If any of this makes any sense to anyone out there your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Ghinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
1991welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghinjo
I recently purchased a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it can not get the shaft to stop turning even after I take it out of four wheel drive. This makes a very loud sound...almost like when brake pads are rubbing...brakes are fine, but just best way I can describe the sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My limited research seems to point to a motor or a vacuum line the will engage the drive shaft, not sure which,is on the 98... If any of this makes any sense to anyone out there your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
The shaft is going to turn regardless what you do wether your in 2wd or 4wd the only difference is the front end is not engaged until you put it in 4wd so in 2wd it just free spins as far as the rubbing sound i would try replacing the pinion bearing on the front yoke if that dont help u joints is your next bet
1991welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

im not sure about the Grand but the XJ's stoped using the CAD (the vacuum thingy you are talking about) in 95 I believe. But yes, the front will always turn unless you have locking hubs.

You also might want to check to make sure the noise isnt coming from the driveshaft contacting the exhaust pipe or something else, that might could cause a noise like you are describing.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

IIRC, the transfercase is a full time unit. The drive shaft will turn regardless of what position the shifter is in.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Ghinjo

Ok, thank you for the info. I will do some more investigating as to the origin of the sound. Def getts louder the faster I go and can best be described as a spinning rubbing sound. Gona.check the exhaust suggestion first and get back on here with results. Thanks again everyone!
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
1991welder

If it not to much work take the front drive shaft lose from the front yoke and spin the yoke i bet thats what it is but let us know what you find for sure
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Ghinjo

So I should be looking at the yoke to be making the rubbing sound correct? I am trying to learn as I go so please forgive my noob quwstions. Is there anything specific or in general I should b looking for on the yoke? Thank you again!
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
1991welder

Your fine im still learning too i dought it will be the exhaust cause you said it only does it while your moving if it wa the driveshaft touching the pipe it would rattle an vibrate at a stop jack your jeep up put the front on jack stands and jack the rear up with no tires touching the ground so the driveshaft will spin put the t case and trans in neutral and spin it by hand thats how youll find it i would check brake rotors to just spin each wheel those will cause rubbing noises as well
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

You could also just yank the drive-shaft entirely, that way you can narrow down your search. if you yank it and it goes away, put it back in and like said above, lift it and put it on JACKSTANDS and rotate the whole shaft by hand and see where/what its rubbing/hitting.
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
jeeped96
1996 ZJ 

Had that problem on a 96 with a 242. It was the output bearing assembly going out on the front of the t-case. If thats the issue keep a close eye on ur fluid lvl in it. Crawl under it w the t-case in nuetral and see if u can grab the drive shaft and move it up and down like ur trying to bench press the rig and watch where the movement is coming from. There shouldnt be any
jeeped96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Ghinjo

Ok was able to get it up on lift today. The good news is t case and all 4x4 is working great! Fluids checked and changed.. No play in any shafts or yolks. Bad news is I actually have two rear wheel bearings that have gone bad. But I guess good news is 4wheel is in great working order. Anything I should know about wheel bearings? Is this a pros only thing or can a noob with youtube do it right?
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
1991welder

Ok heres the steps

1. Jack the rig up and put it on jack stands
2. Take both tires off and chalk the front tires
3. Loosen the differential cover and catch the fluid " you wont need it but you dont want to work in a mess it smells like crap"
4. Once you have the cover off you will see the chunk there is a nickel size dial pin in the middle there will be a set screw that holds it in place
5. Remove the screw and tap the pin to free it up
6. Spin the axle shaft till the other side off the pin is accessible and pull it out
7. Then you should be able to push the axle shafts inward
8. Looking inside the differential you will see a C-clip on each axle shaft remove them and pull the axle shafts out
9. BE CAREFUL dont drop them or damage the splines

After that you should be able to see the wheel bearings i dought you will have to take the break assembly off but you will need to go get a bearing puller and slide hammer from o'reillys they will rent them to you an when you return them you will get your money back

10. Pry the wheel seal out with a flat head screw driver or seal puller and then use the bearing puller to remove the bearing
11. Install the new parts and reassemble everything
12. Fill with 90w or the recommended fluid i like lucas or royal purple but thats just me if it calls for regular tranny fluid you can use Castrol blue hydraulic fluid

Good to go if you have any problems send me a private message and ill give you my cell number and walk you through it hope this helps

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.