1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Vacuum Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Vacuum Leak

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
sjm0913
1998 ZJ 

1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Vacuum Leak

I have a problem and hope someone can help. I have replaced the exhaust manifold, gasket and cleaned the intake and the truck started great but suddenly it starter to sputter and discharge water and carbon residue from the muffler. I've been told that it could be vacuum lines but cannot see anything unusual. What I noticed is that a line that says "fuel" is loose. I do not know if this is a breather tube or what. Can someone guide me me without making fun of my lack of mechanical knowledge?
Thanks

sjm0913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Just a heads up, this is the WJ forum, you have a ZJ...

What did you clean your intake manifold with? Water from the tail pipe isn't a problem, it's a by-product of combustion (obviously unless it's pouring out), and there will be carbon buildup throughout your exhaust as well (same principal). Any idle fluctuations after a repair that wasn't present before said repair should be an easy fix. There are multiple vacuum lines on the intake manifold, did you check all of them? Is everything plugged in? Is the CEL on? I'm not sure what fuel line you're talking about, can you take a picture?
99WJ539918 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
sjm0913
1998 ZJ 

Hi, and thank you for your response. When I removed my intake manifold and the header to replace the header due to a crack (I was getting a "lean on Bank one" code and found a crack on my exhaust), I cleaned the intake with throttle body cleaner.

I have no check engine light on.

BTW I found out what those two lines went to, they go to the vapor canister that is located under the drivers side headlamp. It seems that this canister only has 2 connections and one is off. I noticed that the rubber connectors are all messed up and will go get something to replace these with so I have a good fitment to the canister. Could this be a reason for the weird idle and "sputtering" when the engine gets to operating temperature? or could these canisters go bad? or, again, can I just by-pass the canister and splice the lines together?

I am sorry if I have too many questions on the same post.

Thank you,

Steven
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
sjm0913
1998 ZJ 

Well, the problem seems to be fixed!, I replaced the hose that goes from the vapor canister to the main line which was cracked and a test run seems to be running great. I just noticed a momemtary rough idle when stopping at a stop sign but it went back up to normal. This forum is awesome, I did what I should of done from the beginning to search through other posts and got most of the information needed.
Thanks to all!!! Now I just need new tires and to replace the rear crankshaft bearing but for the bearing I am going to a real mechanic because I am told it's not an easy job.

Thanks again to all.....

Steven
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to ZJ Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Rough idle try cleaning the IAC on the throttle body ,

But any questions do be afraid to ask

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.