1998 A/C drain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1998 A/C drain?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
akshun

1998 A/C drain?

Could someone point out where the drain hose for the A/C is on the firewall? I think mine is plugged up and causing water to spill on to the carpet. I have a picture in the haynes manual but it appears to be a V8 (mine is the 4.0L) isn't in the same location. Thanks.

akshun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

This is a little hard for me to describe because it has been months since I've seen my Jeep (I'm in Iraq). This can lead to big problems if you don't get it solved. I had a great Jeep mechanic that suggested this: Under the dash, on the passenger side you should see a black plastice housing down where the passengers feet would be. I think it is kind of shaped like a "U". He drilled a hole in there and attempted to blow the blockage out with compressed air. Mine must have been too clogged because that didn't work. After you drill the hole you'll have to have some sort of rubber plug to put in there. Anyways, I let mine go for awhile and now I'll certainly have to replace the carpet and I spent many hundreds of dollars having the dealer replace A/C components that had corroded. Fix it soon and avoid all of that. As far as where the actual drain is, I think the water is just channeled down the frame rails so there really isn't a drain that you can remove and unclog.
Wookie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
akshun

this makes sense after all the time I spent trying to find this drain. I can tell exactly what you're talking about. I'll give it a try. Also, keep your head low over there. I did my stint from 2003-2005.
Unread 07-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

When the air failed to work on mine I was tempted to take a water hose to it! I didn't but I don't think it would have messed anything up worse than it was already getting in my case.
Wookie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
akshun

Hey I tried it out and it worked perfect. The condensation is draining normally now. Thanks! I noticed that I can feel the drain hole through a hole in the frame. The hole is right next to the tire, which would explain why it gets clogged. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.