1997 ZJ Thermostat Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 ZJ Thermostat Replacement

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 06-14-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
pctech

1997 ZJ Thermostat Replacement

Hi Guys,

Can someone explain to me how much work is involved in replacing the thermostat in a 5.2L V8 engine? How long should the whole process take?

The one in my 97 ZJ appears to be stuck open causing the engine a long time to warm up to operating temperature. It looks like some accessory components may have to be removed to gain access to where the thermostat is located. Is this the case? Also, how much should I expect to pay a private mechanic to do this job for me?

Thanks!
James

pctech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
pctech

No ideas guys? Help would be greatly appreciated!
CompTIA A+ Certified Professional
========================
My Jeep:
1997 Grand Cherokee Limited
5.2L V8, Quadratrack
========================
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Wooden Badger

move the alternator out of the way and it makes it real easy to replace the thermo and clean the old gasket off.
Wooden Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
pctech

Hi Wooden Badger,

Thanks for the tip! It sounds like you have done this job before. How long should the whole process take to do if the alternator has to be removed?

Thanks for any more help you can provide!
========================
My Jeep:
5.2L V8, Quadratrack
========================
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
94ZZJJ

I didn't have to move the alt. I did it twice because the first pos unit stuck closed after a while, get the hd unit. 2 bolts, extension, new gasket, some rtv and drain some coolant first. Torque to spec. I replaced the factory clamp with a worm clamp.

Get a book!
94ZZJJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Jim Moore

I did mine when I replaced the water pump. I seem to remember that I just pulled the hose up and replaced it. It only took a few minutes.
2004 GCL
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
acitydweller

my thermostat was replaced recently when i had problems with the engine temp. you will need the thermostat and a new thermostat gasket for the install. The whole thing took no more than 20 minutes by my friend.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Wooden Badger

you don't have to take the alt out of the way. but for just having to take out the two bolts and sliding it out of the way it sure makes it easier to clean. my $.02.
Wooden Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
pctech

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
========================
My Jeep:
5.2L V8, Quadratrack
========================
Unread 06-18-2004, 01:37 AM   #10
RockPaws

Just make sure you clean the surfaces completly. Its not easy to get in there. If it comes out clean, all the better.

Also when was the last time the system was serviced? It may be time for hoses, flush, and new coolant. Don't forget about the bypass hose, its hidden under the a/c - alt mount assembly.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.