1997 ZJ Multiple Cylinder Misfire please help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 ZJ Multiple Cylinder Misfire please help ASAP

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 12-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
twmattox

1997 ZJ Multiple Cylinder Misfire please help ASAP

Driving home on Christmas night and ended up stranded. The Jeep just started misfiring (completely out of the blue with no symptoms) with a very heavy fuel odor in the exhaust. It was all I could do to limp it along the side of the road to a safe area; no power, stalling, backfiring, misfiring, etc.

I quickly did the on-of-on-off-on trick and pulled:
Code 12= Battery disconnect - input to the PCM was disconnected within the last 50 starts.
Code 43= Multiple cylinder mis - fire.
Code 45= Trans temp sensor volts too low or too high, Governor pressure sensor volts too low or high, O/D switch pressed (LO) more than 5 min - overdrive off switch input too low for > 5 min.
Code 55= completion of fault code display.

I then rented an OBD II Scanner and pulled:
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P1762 GOV Pressure Sen Offset Volts Too Low Or High
P0300 Random Multi Cylinder Misfire

Oddly, when cold, it would start and run fairly normal (rough but still had power). As soon as it reached operating temperature...missfires constantly. I cleared the codes and it now seems to run just fine, both cold and at operating temperature (I still haven't trusted it to a longer trip).

From my limited understanding, this can be caused by:
spark plug failure
spark plug wire failure
Distributor cap/rotor failure
ignition coil failure
Powertrain Control Module failure
Crankshaft Position Sensor failure
Camshaft Position Sensor failure
Battery failure

I will replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor tonight. I will have the battery checked tonight. I will test the coil tonight too. The local Jeep shop has offered to check the PCM (for free if I remove and bring to them). This leaves the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor... Am I correct that if these were faulty, a code would have popped up? Is there anything else I should check???

twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yea a basic tune up is the most common cause to the multiply misfires.

Then clear the codes and see if the rest still pop up.

No crank & cam sensors are not emission items so there are not mandatory to store a code. However, if one completely fails then a code will be stored. Of course if it completely fails then the engine will not start. So an intermittent cps failure is what is tricky.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
twmattox

So, it is possible for the CPS to fail intermittently? If I run a diagnostic on them (per the manual) and they test fine, it is possible for them to still be "bad"??? Is it just not better (and safer) to just replace both of these?

Any other sensors I should be looking at? The vehicle has 200k miles on it and never had any of these things checked/replaced. I just want to make sure my wife doesn't break down in the future...
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
twmattox

Oh, one more question:
I have read that non-MOPAR oxygen sensors don't work well in these Jeeps. Is that the same with these sensors? Or, will common AutoZone replacements work just fine???
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The Cam sensor is not nearly as troublesome as the Crank sensor. I have never replaced a Cam sensor. But they will sometimes fail. If you are going to take a guess at one of these then just replace the Crank sensor.

Intermittent failing of the Crank sensor is common and will cause stalling (seems worse at idle)

Non-Mopar O2 sensors are not recommended. Some people here have had no issues with Bosch ones, but their track record is not good on Jeeps.

However, a bad O2 sensor will always throw a code. Also a bad O2 sensor will never cause the engine to stall.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
twmattox

The behavior I was experiencing was more along the lines of timing being off. I have an older Scrambler. It woluld be like advancing the timing considerably (missfire) to the point that at idle it would stall and had no response to throttle (would just misfire more as the throttle was opened).

I went to the Jeep dealership today with the PCM and they indicated that they had no recollection of telling me they could verify if it worked... They were kind enought to discuss the problem with me. They indicated I should look for a grounding issue (intermittent problems are usually due to poor or intermittent ground)? Also said to look at the Throttle Position Sensor.
I would think that if the TPS was faulty, the idle speed would fluctuate...

What is really throwing me is that once I cleared the codes, no more problems....
Unread 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox
The behavior I was experiencing was more along the lines of timing being off. I have an older Scrambler. It woluld be like advancing the timing considerably (missfire) to the point that at idle it would stall and had no response to throttle (would just misfire more as the throttle was opened).

I went to the Jeep dealership today with the PCM and they indicated that they had no recollection of telling me they could verify if it worked... They were kind enought to discuss the problem with me. They indicated I should look for a grounding issue (intermittent problems are usually due to poor or intermittent ground)? Also said to look at the Throttle Position Sensor.
I would think that if the TPS was faulty, the idle speed would fluctuate...

What is really throwing me is that once I cleared the codes, no more problems....
This almost sounds like it is starved of fuel?

To bad the dealer has memory loss!

Not sure what to say about the TPS being bad?

Does your year have an external fuel filter? If so then has it been changed lately?

Unread 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
twmattox

No, internal fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump about 2 years ago and used a new sock. I would agree, it fealt like it was fuel starved...however, started to backfire and knock horribly when I gave it gas trying to limp to a safe stopping area. Not to mention the horrible fuel smell in the exhaust.
Unread 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
twmattox

Just noticed I didn't give info on engine etc. 1997 GC Laredo with 4.0L...

I pulled the PCM, cleaned the connections, re-attached with some di-electric grease. There was some surface corrosion on the external case (passenger side rear). Not sure if that presents a problem.

Pulled and replaced the plugs. The tip color was a light tan but the base was pitch black (from the seafoam treatment I assume). Two were slightly over-gapped but nothing major.

I replaced plug wires. I compared resistance of the old wires to the new ones...no difference. New cap and rotor too. The cap had a little build-up at the terminals, but was clearly still making contact.

I replaced the distributor magnetic pick-up (what I was referring to as the camshaft position sensor). The old one was a touch worn, but nothing major.

I pulled and replaced the ignition coil. The plastic housing on the stock coil was cracked.

After all of this, it ran incredible...until it reached operating temperature. Then, it was all I could do to keep it running. I had the OBD II reader hooked up and even when it was barely running, missing, and acted like it was running rich it was pulling no codes.

It would idle fine, but when I gave it throttle it would bog for a second and then respond (increase speed). When I took my foot off the throttle it would bog and nearly die. Almost like it was dumping too much fuel in.

There are 4 sensors hooked to the throttle body. What are these? I am going to replace the crankshaft position sensor today. What else should I look at? What throws me is that it runs perfectly (until it gets to operating temperature)...
Unread 01-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Just noticed I didn't give info on engine etc. 1997 GC Laredo with 4.0L...

I pulled the PCM, cleaned the connections, re-attached with some di-electric grease. There was some surface corrosion on the external case (passenger side rear). Not sure if that presents a problem.

Pulled and replaced the plugs. The tip color was a light tan but the base was pitch black (from the seafoam treatment I assume). Two were slightly over-gapped but nothing major.

I replaced plug wires. I compared resistance of the old wires to the new ones...no difference. New cap and rotor too. The cap had a little build-up at the terminals, but was clearly still making contact.

I replaced the distributor magnetic pick-up (what I was referring to as the camshaft position sensor). The old one was a touch worn, but nothing major.

I pulled and replaced the ignition coil. The plastic housing on the stock coil was cracked.

After all of this, it ran incredible...until it reached operating temperature. Then, it was all I could do to keep it running. I had the OBD II reader hooked up and even when it was barely running, missing, and acted like it was running rich it was pulling no codes.

It would idle fine, but when I gave it throttle it would bog for a second and then respond (increase speed). When I took my foot off the throttle it would bog and nearly die. Almost like it was dumping too much fuel in.

There are 4 sensors hooked to the throttle body. What are these? I am going to replace the crankshaft position sensor today. What else should I look at? What throws me is that it runs perfectly (until it gets to operating temperature)...

It could need to re-learn one of the new sensors you added. Remember when cold it is in open loop and is using the programmed A/F mixture and timing to run, just like WOT. Once it reaches operating temp and teh O2 sensors are hot it goes into closed loop mode and uses the sensors to control A/F and timing. So if you have one sensor still bad or replaced one and it has not learned it yet it could run fine cold and like crap warm. Try driving it a few miles to let it learn the new stuff before you go replacing more.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
whitejeep96zj

well i was going to start a new thread just to let people know but this thread is covering it. My Crank sensor would intermittently fail but not do so enought to cause the car to die and it would cause multiple misfires....trust me i replaced every spark plug, wire, coil, cap, rotor, pcm, throttle body sensor...to try and get it to stop the misfire. I bought a CPS from Oreill'ys and it still did it....so many months later and hundreds of dollars i tried one from the dealership because i was at the end of my rope and now it works fine. I hope its just spark plugs or something for you but for me the Crank sensor was failing intermittently.
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
ezrider327
1997 ZJ 

Mine did the same thing when I put in a NEW CPS when I had it changed just because I was switching transmissions out and it had to be taken out anyways, I figured it had 150,000 miles on it it was kind of due but the NEW one (Bosch) made my ZJ miss on ALL cylinders and intermittently at that ( not all the time) but when my mechanic put the old one back in problem solved so it was the "new" CPS.

That taught me to not screw with a Jeep if it ain't broke
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack
ezrider327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:

This is a shot in the dark, but one of those sensors on the TB is the TPS. I had a similar condition to yours, when my engine reached operating temp, the jeep would have similar symptoms. Once I replaced the TPS, all of my problems went away.

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
twmattox

Just replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor too (what a PITA!!!). Still backfiring and loss of power (after entering closed loop). I guess the only thing left to try is the Throttle Position Sensor. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what else to try...possibly new PCM??? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Trouble-shooting sensors can be a real PITA. A scanner that can record voltages over time is the ultimate tool for this. Then a plot can be viewed and you get the output of the sensor over a period of time. Then you for spikes, drop-offs, or periodic flat-lining. This is especially important for intermittent types of failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.