1997 zj 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 zj 5.2

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
4x4jeepman777
1997 ZJ 

1997 zj 5.2

for the past month my jeep has been stalling out on me. When i go to start it it will start up but will shut off second later and it will do it some times for 5 min somethings for 5 seconds. I relaced the ignition coil battery altenater and battery terminals. it seems to do it more when i put my foot in it. It will do it just driving down the road at a steady speed sometimes. I dont want to just keep throwing money at it and not fix it. any advise? thanks

4x4jeepman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like the Crank Position Sensor. They are a very common failure on ZJ's. No-start issues and stalling issues.

The Throttle Position Sensor is also common to go bad. But symptoms would be sputtering/hesitation when punching the gas.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

could be the fuel filter. might as well replace it since it is a tune-up item.
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

If I'm remembering correctly, the fuel pump and fuel filter are attached together? You supposedly should never have to replace the filter in a ZJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Back to topic, I would GUESS its the fuel pump or the Crank Position Sensor.
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If it is just shutting down, and not sputtering I would go with the crank position sensor. But before replacing it, I would test it. You can test the TPS while you have the multimeter out.

Fuel filter is part of the fuel pump on the 96-98.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, the fuel pump and fuel filter are attached together? You supposedly should never have to replace the filter in a ZJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Back to topic, I would GUESS its the fuel pump or the Crank Position Sensor.
1993-1995 the filter was outside the tank. 1996-1998 the filter was inside the tank.

I wish they made fuel filters that lasted forever.

I'm still leaning towards CPS. A bad fuel pump would cause it to not start/run period. Once it went bad.

Check fuel pressure lately?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
JeepGC8
1996 ZJ 

Mine was doing a similar thing so i replaced the cps sensor and that didn't help so i changed my fuel pump and that didn't do anything so my dad decided to take out the relay and take it apart and it was all rusted and corroded so we cleaned it off and it fired right up and hasn't had a problem since. So id check the relays and that sensor then move to the filter or fuel pump
JeepGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.