1997 Jeep grand cherokee Tsi is running like crap.....again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Jeep grand cherokee Tsi is running like crap.....again

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
97GrandTsi
1997 ZJ 

1997 Jeep grand cherokee Tsi is running like crap.....again

I bought a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee back in February i have had nothing but problems with it since, Ive done a complete tune up replaced both O2 sensors replace the crank shaft position sensor and fuel pump. Since replacing the fuel pump and CSP the jeep had ran perfect till a few days ago. Now it has a hard time starting and it will randomly misfire or backfire in front of the catalytic converter. It will also just die on my while driving, It doesn't shut off but it has absolutely 0 throttle response when that happens i turn it off and restart it, it has a god awful smell almost like sulfur which im told is usually a bad catalytic converter. Any help is appreciated i love jeeps but im about to my wits end with this thing.

97GrandTsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Change out the fuel pump relay just to eliminate the possibility. I may or may not fix it. You can swap it out with another relay in the PDC.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
97GrandTsi
1997 ZJ 

Ok so ive replace the fuel pump relay and have completely replaced my exhaust still stalling on me while driving, Anyone have and ideas?
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If it stinks like sulfur the cat is bad. Not usually, always. And if the cat is clogged the vehicle will run like azz and might even die completely due to the exhaust flow being blocked, backfiring etc. Seems the best route might be to fix the cat and go from there.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Dying while driving is a common problem with the 96-98, because of the faulty PCMs that were manufactured for those years.

Some times, although you've replaced the crank sensor, the new sensor could cause problems if you've replaced it with a cheap after market brand.

Defective coil, or secondary ignition (wires, cap, rotor), ASD relay or any of the associated wires from the PCM to the ignition system could cause it. Checking the grounds any all the connector for good contact.

The back firing and serious smell is being caused by the raw fuel (and a lot of it) is still getting injected into the engine and exhaust while the ignition is being lost. You might not get any codes or receive misfire, multiple misfire, o2 codes. It's random.

I blew out a new exhaust system for the same problem.

The above are all the things you should do....., now do this....

and read this...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...8/index27.html
zeejay-pcm.jpg  
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
97GrandTsi
1997 ZJ 

Guess i shoulve of added that i have replaced the pcm with a new one and have also replaced the asd relay.
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

If it was running rich before,the unburned fuel damaged the cat and it is now partially clogged from the melting of the substrate inside of the cat. Replace your cat...
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.