1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0L HELP! Timing issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0L HELP! Timing issues.

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Tyler1313
1997 ZJ 

1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0L HELP! Timing issues.

I have gotten a new distributor for my jeep and can't quite get it timed, how do you set the distributor and crankshaft and find top dead center. It runs but rough idle and sometimes stalls. It is out of time, how do you set it in time? My buddy has tried rotating crankshaft pulley and distributor but can't seem to get it!

Tyler1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Shane7
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1313 View Post
I have gotten a new distributor for my jeep and can't quite get it timed, how do you set the distributor and crankshaft and find top dead center. It runs but rough idle and sometimes stalls. It is out of time, how do you set it in time? My buddy has tried rotating crankshaft pulley and distributor but can't seem to get it!
It's difficult to find the right positioning. It's pretty much hit and miss. Just keep unbolting the distributer and turning it till it fits in snug then try restarting your Jeep. Once it starts up nice and idles calmly, you got it. That should be all you need to do.
Shane7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1313 View Post
how do you set the distributor and crankshaft and find top dead center.
This is as close as you can get without a DRBIII scan tool

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...l#post12772936
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.