1997 Jeep GC - I need help disabling my security key! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Jeep GC - I need help disabling my security key!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

1997 Jeep GC - I need help disabling my security key!

Ok, so pretty much I've been having a lot of issues with my security key. The thing that has a red blinking light, that won't allow my car to start unless it turns green. I believe it's called a security key. Well I've had many issues with it, and I would like to just disable it, instead of having to fix it every couples days because of a new found issue with it.

Does anyone know how to disable it? Right now I can't start my car because I can't get it to work. It's a serious pain.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Anfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Good to see a fellow Californian here. Especially with the same problem I have.

Try this go to passenger door or tail gate unlock it with the key if the drivers door doesn't work. My alarm won't disable from the drivers door. It's a pain but I live with it lol
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

No, I mean my cars doors are unlocking. I'm not talking about the alarm system, I'm talking about the little security key thing. It won't turn green, and I just want to disable it. If that thing doesn't turn green, it won't allow you to start it up. You talking about the same thing?

And yea definitely good to see some Californian's here!
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Oh... underneath the dash under the steering wheel? Mine never turns green just keeps blinking red at all times. Lol
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

Yea, the thing under the steering wheel. I wish mine would work like that! Man, I can't stand it!
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I've never seen a security light that turned green - either blinking red or off. Is it aftermarket?
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

No it's not after market. Everything on it's stock. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfamous
No it's not after market. Everything on it's stock. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
Mine is also a 97 JGC Laredo so it should be similar

Well it doesn't turn green.
With the security key in it just stops blinking red like any security system. So if it won't stop blinking the key to it is probably busted some how
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
95upcountry
1995 ZJ 

I'm having similar issues right now, can't start the jeep after having finished all my projects on her and I'm a little bit stumped.
95upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Honestly.
If the jeep just won't start. I have a doubt that its the security systems. Because when they are on the only the jeep will start and has a kill switch the will shut it off within 3 seconds of turning on.

Make sure everything else is working correctly.
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

zj's did not use a security key from the factory. anything like that would be an aftermarket security kit.

disconnect the battery and reset the computer by touching the positive cable(after disconnected) to the negative terminal.
once you hook everything back up, unlock all the doors with the key OR the key fob if you still have it. that will disarm the security. the factory security system will not allow the jeep to start after the battery has been disconnected for a while if you don't immediately disarm the security through either the door locks or the key fob.

i have a 97 as well and it does NOT have any security led's under the steering wheel. the ONLY security light is in the light sensor on the dash. if you have something elsewhere on the vehicle, it's aftermarket.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

Just a quick check, do you have a Laredo too? It might make a difference.
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

And there's nothing wrong with my Jeep. It starts up perfectly when the security key thing is read. Always have. If I could dis-able that thing, it would start right up. Everything else is working perfectly.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfamous View Post
And there's nothing wrong with my Jeep. It starts up perfectly when the security key thing is read. Always have. If I could dis-able that thing, it would start right up. Everything else is working perfectly.
post a picture of your secutity key, zj's never came with a sentry key.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Anfamous
1997 ZJ 

Yes they do. I just spoke to the Jeep dealership, and everything on my Jeep is stock. They said they can just reprogram a new one for like $200, and everything will work again. But thanks anyways.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.