1997 Grand Cherokee Stops Running Suddenly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand Cherokee Stops Running Suddenly

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 12-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
hgoodwiniii

1997 Grand Cherokee Stops Running Suddenly

Hello everyone, my name is Herbert and I am new to the forum. I hope everyone is well. I have having a sporadic problem with my 1997 Grand Cherokee. The engine just suddenly stops at times. It happens mostly when removing my foot from the accelerator while coming to a stop. Usually, the vehicle restarts immediately without any problem. At other times, it spudders when restarted for a couple of tries. This problem is very sporadic and seems to happen about once a week and appears to happen only when the weather is cool or cold. I've had the ccm, crank sensor, tps and fuel assembly changed. Has anyone experienced this problem?

hgoodwiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

How Does an Idle Air Control Valve Work? IAC

Hope this helps.
Sextiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
hgoodwiniii

I may have changed it already. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
jeepguy86
1997 ZJ 

I am currently experiencing this same problem with my 97 Jeep GC. Only I have had occassions when it has taken more like 15 tries to get it to finally turn over. Had it at the mechanic but the engine never stopped when they test drove it, multiple times... only does it at random times, very strange indeed... If you find a solution that works let me know.
jeepguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
tkc
1996 ZJ 

About a month ago, my car got really bad where the oil pressure needle would drop to zero when I came to a stop like at a light or whatever.

Turns out it was the oil pressure sensor that went bad. I was able to pick one up at the local auto parts store and replaced it. On my 1996, the sensor was located on the back side of the engine, at the top, near the center. Right between the motor and the windshield.

Just a thought, incase your oil pressure needle was dropping when this happens.

Good luck!
tkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoodwiniii View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Herbert and I am new to the forum. I hope everyone is well. I have having a sporadic problem with my 1997 Grand Cherokee. The engine just suddenly stops at times. It happens mostly when removing my foot from the accelerator while coming to a stop. Usually, the vehicle restarts immediately without any problem. At other times, it spudders when restarted for a couple of tries. This problem is very sporadic and seems to happen about once a week and appears to happen only when the weather is cool or cold. I've had the ccm, crank sensor, tps and fuel assembly changed. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Welcome Herbert

Try gently wiggling the PCM connectors and tapping on the PCM while the engine is cold.

Also try swapping the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay with the horn or int wiper relay.

Also see this thread post 22
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...s-help-859227/
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Az-Green
1994 ZJ 

My ZJ just took a **** on me a few days ago and the problems were very similar to this. Have you had your fuel pump checked out? Mine was toast. It's replaced and runs like a monster again.
Az-Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

You could prolly test the ASD and Fuel when it happens. Just see if the pump is priming.
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
hgoodwiniii

Will do. Thanks for all the suggestions. By the way, what's the ASD?
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

Its a relay that kills spark and fuel to keep from damaging your vehicle. It will feel like someone reached over and turn your key off if its engaged. Chrysler likes to use em.
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextiva View Post
Its a relay that kills spark and fuel to keep from damaging your vehicle. It will feel like someone reached over and turn your key off if its engaged. Chrysler likes to use em.
You have that backwards. The ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay is used to provide power to the ignition, fuel pump and injectors.
It receives 12 volts from the ignition switch and ground from the computer. The computer will turn the relay off (remove the ground) if the RPM signal from the Crankshaft sensor disappears or is not present.

Curly
Curly5759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

welcome to the forum

dont forget to check for some vacuum leaks around the intake manifold. you can do this by taking throttle body/carb cleaner and spraying it around the hoses that connect to the sides of the manifold. if the idle increases you have a vacuum leak at the area you just sprayed.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

my vote is the IAC especially if its when you take your foot off of it
ZJ5point2GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
You have that backwards. The ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay is used to provide power to the ignition, fuel pump and injectors.
It receives 12 volts from the ignition switch and ground from the computer. The computer will turn the relay off (remove the ground) if the RPM signal from the Crankshaft sensor disappears or is not present.

Curly
Pretty sure like in the old 2.2 turbos, if you hooked a boost controller up and cranked up the boost. The MAP would see the increase in manifold pressure, and say oops overboosting, and cut spark and fuel. Could be wrong tho
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

I've had similar problems in the past two years. First time the shop found a bad ground on the Auto Shut Down relay. Worked fine for a few months, then started acting up again. Actually it was running fine, then wouldn't start. The crankshaft position sensor had failed, which is a common problem. Recently I had a wildly fluctuating idle at start up. I changed the Idle Air Control valve and fixed that problem. When replacing the IAC valve, be sure to clean out the area inside the throttle body. I didn't want to spray carb cleaner in there, just to wash all of that carbon and gunk down into the passages. I dipped Q-tips in paint thinner to clean it out. Works fine now. I hope this helps.
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.