1997 Grand Cherokee: Slipping and Hard Shifting when Transmission gets Wet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand Cherokee: Slipping and Hard Shifting when Transmission gets Wet

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
NewfieGC
1997 ZJ 

1997 Grand Cherokee: Slipping and Hard Shifting when Transmission gets Wet

The transmission on my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee works smoothly without any problem on dry days. Its also fine on rainy days .... until I drive through a puddle and the underside is sprayed with water.

At that point, it will slip, and then start to hard shift and seem to be working in the wrong gears (while making aweful noises) . Usually it goes away in a few minutes. Last weekend when driving in slush, this started again and the transmission did not start to work properly even after I got it home.

So I towed it to a local mechanic. He looked at it and really didn't seem to want to get into it. He said that the tramsission was failing and he thought it was internal. He did not do a diagnostic. The fluid level is fine and the fluid is a new pink red colour. The whole transmission is encased in steel so water cannot be getting into it.

After hearing that the transmission was written off, I went to pick up the Jeep at the mechanics shop and when I drove away, the transmission worked again - smoothly shifting and perfectly on time.. Whats going on? Its directly related to something getting wet as the issue occurs immediately upon being spashed with water. Its been doing this for a year. Any help greatly appreciated.

NewfieGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Degra101
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have this issue too with big puddles, But with mine it just plane old doesnt want to shift, it lasts for a few minits.
Degra101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

sounds like you might want to check the electrical coming down to the transmission, sounds like its no longer waterproof and shorting out....
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

When the gov pressure sensor and solenoid start going bad it will shift funny. Sometimes it will throw a code and sometimes not. Just a possibility.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
cdaniels85
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
When the gov pressure sensor and solenoid start going bad it will shift funny. Sometimes it will throw a code and sometimes not. Just a possibility.
x2 on that. When my solenoid went there were a couple of odd shifts then boom, no 1st gear or OD. I never had a puddle issue since it was a dry day. Though your description makes it definitely sound electrical.
cdaniels85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

It must be an electrical issue. The governor pressure solenoid and sensor is one possibility as mentioned above. But it should not be effected by puddles. The wiring from the solenoid exits the tranny on the top through a connector. My guess would be that you have a problem at that connector, perhaps the wiring is damaged, salty water affects the signals... Hard to tell.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
NewfieGC
1997 ZJ 

Thanks everyone... The mechanics think I am nuts and say that everything looks fine on the outside.... But I know for sure its a water issue.... I even pull over as soon as I hit a big puddle because I know its will be slipping and I usually is... In spring and summer, it takes about a minute to recover. Its been doing good for the last several days.... Ill be damned if it is ever figured out.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
NewfieGC
1997 ZJ 

I forgot to say... the mechanic did do a diagnostic but no codes came back...but it was working fine at the time.
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

have it secured by straps and on jack stands and spray the bottom with a hose while do a diagnostic.my 2 cents
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Get a few spray bottles, and start squirting things and take a drive until you find it
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
01xjltd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

you could be a bit pre emtive and remove each plug going into the transmission case and dab a bit of diaelectric grease on the pins of the connector and snap it back on as this will waterproof them and help restore contact.you can get diaelectric tuneup grease at any parts store.
01xjltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.