1997 Grand cherokee no over drive when warm??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 1997 Grand cherokee no over drive when warm???

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

So no flush or check valve replaced yet and I dont know if this matters but it is pouring buckets of rain here and my overdrive lasted a fair amount longer before cutting out. Seems like the large amounts of rain helped keep it cool for longer. Just a thought

jimmybjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #32
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You need to figure out if your transmission is pumping fluid to the cooler and back.

You can get a bucket, disconnect the return line at the transmission, crank it up and see if it pumps a quart like i posted yesterday.

Taking the check valve out is not a good idea.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #33
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

I will be trying that. The only reason I posted a new thread is all the conflicting info I had found on the web and thought maybe it deserved its own thread. I noticed some folks puled it for different reasons and some folks shunned it for many reasons.
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #34
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The check valve is going to be dealer item.

If you find out that your flow is restricted and get it cleared up, you'll need new fluid.

If you want to do it yourself, you can put new fluid (i dont know how much but it's a lot) in a bucket and stick the return line in it. Then get an empty bucket and stick the pressure line in it. Put it in neutral and crank it up.

When you start getting clean fluid in the exit bucket, shut the engine off, hook your lines back up and your done.

You'll need to find one of the QD coupling tools. Someone posted they are a few bucks at the parts store.

Dont do this in your driveway or garage, find lots of dirt.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the how to. I had no idea. Also what is a QD? I will head to harbor freight later today for one.
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #36
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

quick disconnects. I got it after thinking for a bit. Going to the parts store today, and if I am luck the junk yard
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

One other thing. I am not a transmission guy by any means though with the right instruction I feel I can get simple things done. How do I know what line is the return and what line is the pressure? Also can anyone tell me where this check valve is located on the line. Pull a part here just got a 98 ZJ in yesterday and I feel this is a great chance to go get some parts including this valve. Problem is I dont know where on the line it is or what line is on for that matter. But I am off to pick up a quick disconnect tool
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #38
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I've been running my Jeep (42re) for over a year with out the check valve in it, and have never had a problem. I was in a stuff situation at the time and just had a piece of trans hose laying around.
The check valve is part of the high pressure line and is dealer only. Good luck with finding a good one in the jy though.
Just to throw another idea out there, the tranny temp. sensor, if it senses over 260* will set off the od light and prevent tranny from going into od.
On the other hand if it senses below 50*, it will also prevent od.
Since there is on light, it's not detecting over heat, but is it sensing a cold tranny? I'd check the thermistor..
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

So the light will come on when its to hot? The light does not come on by itself when this happens though it will come on if I hit the button. Also where do I find the tranny temp sensor? The only issue I have with this idea is that it shifts fine for the first few minutes of driving, then suddenly no overdrive. Seems it would do it when it was actually under 50* or so i would think. but again I know very little about transmissions.

I would like to test the valve as zeejay posted but but I am not sure what line is what. and finding an image online showing the two different hoses just isnt working....
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #40
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Never mind just read that the temp sensor is also the pressure sensor, I just changed that trying to fix the issue
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybjames View Post
So the light will come on when its to hot? The light does not come on by itself when this happens though it will come on if I hit the button. Also where do I find the tranny temp sensor? The only issue I have with this idea is that it shifts fine for the first few minutes of driving, then suddenly no overdrive. Seems it would do it when it was actually under 50* or so i would think. but again I know very little about transmissions.

I would like to test the valve as zeejay posted but but I am not sure what line is what. and finding an image online showing the two different hoses just isnt working....
The hose going to the lower radiator connection is the line in question. The check valve is on the engine side of that hose. You won't see the light come on unless you have a problem with either the tranny going into over heat or you physically select the no OD mode for towing.
If in fact the thermistor was bad and not sensing heat, the PCM wouldn't let the tranny go into OD. I'm not a transmission guy myself, but if your lucky, The "Ratmonkey" might see your thread and tap in a few words of wisdom. He's the pro at detailed Jeep situations such as these.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Well in that case I hope he shows up. I feel a bit over my head in this one. I will be changing the check valve either way. Sure would be nice to know what I am dealing with though. Any idea where the thermistor is and what it looks like?
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #43
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

never mind it seems thermistor is yet another name for the governor pressure sensor.
Unread 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
jimmybjames
1997 ZJ 

Well the check valve has been replaced, the fluid has been flushed, and still the same result. No overdrive once the jeep gets nice a warm. The over drive still works fine for a few minutes then cuts out and never comes back. I am at a loss fo what to do and getting very frustrated with this jeep. Any one else have an idea or two? Im really reaching for straws here.
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #45
classicmetalman

Don't know if I missed it, but have you changed your OD solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.